Model 5A with model 5 electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5A with model 5 electronics

I have a model 5A that came with model 5 electronics. Volume, Tone and Mid-boost. Appears to be factory. Are there any others out there like this one? Neck is thicker than my model 5's.I have never seen another other than with a single volume knob.

I'm not aware of the 5A having anything but one pickup and one volume control. Some that didn't sell were sent back to the factory and had a slanted single coil neck pickup added, some with tone controls, some not, and this was now called the 5FX.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a 5A like that either. How long have you had it? Are you the original owner from the 80s? Curious if the paint original? Is it possible that someone filled the neck pickup and repainted it? Post some pics so we can see.

Comment

My 550XL and 5FX seem to have fatter necks than my Model 6's or 650XL.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          My 550XL and 5FX seem to have fatter necks than my Model 6's or 650XL.
          The Model 6 neck was changed between the 86 (Kahler) and 87/88 (JT6) model years. They became thicker.
          I know that the US bolt ons also thickened but I think it was later, also I don't know if that was a standard or a standard option.

This doesn't explain why the differences you mentioned, but it is at least some data someone could use.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

The Model 6 neck was changed between the 86 (Kahler) and 87/88 (JT6) model years. They became thicker.
            I know that the US bolt ons also thickened but I think it was later, also I don't know if that was a standard or a standard option.

This doesn't explain why the differences you mentioned, but it is at least some data someone could use.
            My two M6's are an 87 and 88. They seem pretty thin already. The 650XL seems the same. I can't imagine the 86 being thinner, but I'll take your word.

My 5FX (fire crackle) and 550XL (metalic black) are both thicker, I have a Sam Ash "SL2H" archtop that has the same profile, maybe slightly thinner.

To me, my USA soloist profiles are in between these two. Thicker than M6, thinner than 5FX.

Comment

Working...
            X