Problems...This is a doozy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems...This is a doozy.

So, it appears the guy before me swapped out the Floyd and put one in that "fits" but just doesn't belong. I intonated it a few nights ago and the saddles are now all the way back. The nut is still the original but I think he removed the string retainer, too. Where do I find a Jackson JT570 Schaller or it's equivalent? And how do I determine the correct string retainer? Thanks gents.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

What guitar do you have, and did it originally come with the Schaller JT570 single locking trem? I am having trouble remembering what guitar has a combination of string retainer bar + JT570 single locking trem. Methinks it's a guitar with a headstock that isn't angled back.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ject.htm#jt570

If the dimensions are the same between the JT570 (single locking) and JT590 (double locking), I would prefer hunting down a JT590, or better yet, buy the OEM "Schaller Tremolo" which also has the same dimensions and is double-locking: https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

Comment

Fusion Special. I looked online and the page I found said it originally comes with the 570. But my headstock does have a locking nut and
      the current bridge has "Floyd Rose" on it.
      Last edited by FloydRose4Prez; 02-28-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

According to Henrik's Audiozone website (https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php) the Charvel Fusion Special had a JT590. That's a relief because now we know you can easily add a JT590 or OEM "Schaller Tremolo" without modifications.

Comment

Oh man, thanks Number. I guess I will start with eBay.

Comment

Actually the audiozone webpage is wrong on this one. The fusion special came with the jt-570. The fusion special and the 275 deluxe model came with the jt-570 trem. However jt-590 should be a direct fit for it and that is what i would use since its a double locking and 570 is only single locking,

Also there shouldnt have been a string retainer there in the first place and you dont need it because of the locking nut and the angled headstock.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
              But my headstock does have a locking nut
              right. that is the "single" part of single locking

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post

Also there shouldnt have been a string retainer there in the first place and you dont need it because of the locking nut and the angled headstock.
                Not true.
                Although, I guess that depends on how strict we are using the word 'need'.
                You may not need one, but the headstock angle still isn't enough for strings to properly sit the way they are intended.

Comment

Cool. Great info. Where is the best place to find a 590? There's a few on eBay. Any other places online?
                  Is there a OEM Floyd that will fit?
                  Last edited by FloydRose4Prez; 02-29-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Cool. Great info. Where is the best place to find a 590? There's a few on eBay. Any other places online?
                    The JT590 was just a Jackson-branded Schaller, so any real Schaller trem will work. The newer ones are better anyway since they've got the hardened inserts now and the saddle baseplate screws won't strip out like they used to.

Or you could get what's known as a Floyd Rose II which looks like the Schaller with the shorter locking bolts. The double-locking Floyd II, not the single-locking crap from the '80s which would be like that JT570.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great. HUGE! Thanks again for the help, gents.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                        Actually the audiozone webpage is wrong on this one. The fusion special came with the jt-570. The fusion special and the 275 deluxe model came with the jt-570 trem.
                        Thanks. Noted for the future.

https://www.allparts.com/products/sb...emolo-with-nut

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw...emolo&_sacat=0 (avoid the Schaller Lockmeister tremolo which is an OEM OFR, not an OEM JT590)

https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.VIuplVjzCrE (again, avoid the Schaller Lockmeister and focus on the "Schaller Tremolo" / "Schaller Floyd Rose")

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=schaller+...f=nb_sb_noss_2 (same comment again)

I really wish Schaller gave its "Schaller Tremolo" a distinct name (like they did with their Lockmeister OEM OFR) to help narrow the search, because running a search for "Schaller Tremolo" is very broad and the search results yield virtually all their tremolos. You almost need to visually confirm that it's the correct product before buying. What you want is the product that looks like a Floyd but on closer inspection has knife edges separate from the baseplate (seen clearly in the image below where the black knife edges are inserted into the chrome baseplate) and the short/fat locking bolts (also seen in the photo below, but partially obscured by the whale-tail). The OFR and Lockmeister, have knife edges that are actually part of the solid steel baseplate, and have long/slim locking bolts, and these long bolts will prevent you pulling up very far on your trem (if you don't plan to pull up, I would actually recommend the Lockmeister or OFR as I consider them superior to the JT590 and "Schaller Tremolo").

"Schaller Tremolo" (OEM JT590): knife edges separate from the baseplate, and short/fat locking bolts.

Schaller Lockmeister (OEM OFR): knife edges as part of the baseplate, and long/slim locking bolts.

Comment

Thanks Number. The pics help a lot.
                          This is what I am dealing with... Let's see if this Link works --->

[/URL]
                          Last edited by FloydRose4Prez; 03-03-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Yikes, now my recommendation to get an OFR actually can be disregarded. because if I am not mistaken, you actually have an OFR already. Best way to check: Look under the baseplate for "Made in Germany". If it does, like the image below, it's an OFR. If it doesn't, it's a 1000-Series Floyd Rose... same product but made in Asia instead of Germany.

Now I understand what you mean when you say "the saddles are all the way back". I see why you are worried; the saddle lock screws are barely holding the saddles, especially on the E/A/D strings. At least is your guitar intonated?

What string gauge and tuning are you using? Saddles positions will differ based on those two factors, along with how much neck relief (but I assume you set similar relief across all your guitars so we can ignore that). It's generally observed that heavier gauges require the saddles to be positioned further back (as seen on your guitar). I once believed that, but I once changed string gauges on my Model 1C from 10s to 9s, and I actually had to slide the low E saddle BACK even though I was choosing a narrower gauge, which was counterintuitive to me. So now I just go with what each guitar needs based on whatever gauge and tuning I set up on a guitar.

Comment

•That is how the guitar had to be intonated, saddles all the way back. And it is still a bit off.
                              •.11 - .46
                              •Standard E
                              Yeah, I do wonder why the previous guy swapped out the Floyd. Assuming he thought that a "real Floyd" would perform better - my best guess. He left in the original locking nut; it's black and the bar is black, too. I bought it years ago, +/- 2003ish, with an untrained eye. (I just wanted a white Charvel.) Now that I have a desire to learn this stuff, I want to see what improvements can and should be made, on all my guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X