Upgrades/Changes: Charvel Model 5fx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades/Changes: Charvel Model 5fx

Hello everyone, so a while back I took my Charvel Model 5FX to our practice spot after it had been sitting in the case for quite a while unplayed as it was unplayable and my other guitarist strung it up with D'Addario EXL125's .009 to .046 strings and used the 7mm truss rod tool and it was perfect fit and got it back to playable condition. We're both in a classic rock/hard rock covers band. The Charvel is now tuned to standard E tuning. We also discovered that there was a plastic plate in the trem cavity that was blocking the original Floyd rose trem and there were yellow slip covers over the 3 springs, I'm thinking this was done by a guitar tech I took my Charvel too some years ago to get rid of that annoying trem spring hum? Anyway, my other guitarist did a fantastic job getting the action nice and low.
    But there's still other things to address on my Charvel, like the fact that the before mentioned guitar tech from some years ago took out the black phenolic nut and put in a fender LSR roller nut? I don't like the locking nut is behind the regular nut setup even though I know it came this way from the factory. The EMG single coil in the neck, which I don't know if it is an S or SA as there is no color on the EMG logo?, and the EMG-85 in the bridge just don't sound right to me and I'm just not gelling with them.

My main guitar I've been using is an older Korean Epiphone Les Paul Custom with the SD Hot Rodded Set JB/Jazz with push/pull CTS 500K tone pots, and have been using through my other guitarist's EVH 5150 III 1X12 Combo with the speaker disconnected running through my Marshall 1960a 4x12 with 2 G12T75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's. I'm thinking of going to passive pickups on my Charvel but there is so many choices out there. The guitar seems very bright sounding right now. I've wondered what Seymour Duncan 59/Custom would sound like in the bridge and if this would this be a good pickup for what we play? My Charvel is the only guitar I have with active EMG's, all my other guitars have passive pickups and I've gotten used to the sound of passive pickups. Also, to get a nice sounding single coil for the slant neck position for it? Any thoughts?

I want my Charvel to be able to do more than just 80's. Here's some of the covers we're doing now, seems like the EMG's in the guitar now are just like WAY overkill:

Grand Funk - We're An American Band
    Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
    Kiss - Lick It Up
    Cinderella - Somebody Save Me
    Bryan Adams - Run To You
    Shine - Collective Soul
    Sin City - AC/DC

Comment

to play 70s rock instead of 80s rock....
      turn off the reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        to play 70s rock instead of 80s rock....
        turn off the reverb.

Comment

We had this discussion back in December. I stand by what I said then too. Leave the string lock and nut alone, and put a Jackson J-100 and a J-80C or J-90C in it and be done. Yes it really is that simple.

Comment

Working...
          X