I scored a free 1987 Model 1A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I scored a free 1987 Model 1A

First off I want to say thanks to everyone for the info here, I have used this site as a reference a few times. Especially the links to the old 86 and 87 catalogs.
    Back in 1987 after I had been playing the guitar for a few years I purchased a Model 3A new, after having a white JB Player telecaster, then a different strat that didn't stay long. I finally saved up enough to get a nice guitar and bought this blue Charvel. I used it in my hight school jazz band my senior year, then in a few cover bands I played in during college. After college in the early 90's I stopped playing with others, but would pick it up occasionally and play here and there for fun. Then around 2003 we moved to Germany and it went into it's case and was in our basement storage room for a few years. We had kids, I wasn't playing at all, and it just sat.
    About 10 years ago we were moving again and I found it at the back of my closet and thought "I wonder what this is worth" and at the time I could only find them listed for $100 or $200 so I figured it wasn't worth the time to list it for sale, so I just kept it.
    About 5 years ago I looked again and suddenly they were selling for over $500! Yikes! I'm almost afraid to play it now! But I'm excited to see it's worth closer to what I paid for it.
    But I have taken good care of it over the years, it's in great shape since it usually lived in it's case and I never abused it.. I still obviously have the case, the Kahler tremelo manual, and the tremelo bar. It still plays great but could use a tuneup as it's been a few years since I have used it regularly.
    ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
    But what about the free guitar?
    Well about three years ago I was biking home from pre-school with my daughter and she was on the back of our bike. As we got close to home she says "hey dad, there's a guitar over there". People are always putting stuff out for free on the curb in Portland, but I assumed this was an old, cheap broken guitar. Still, we turned around to take a look.
    It turned out to be a cheap acoustic guitar, with a gig bag, and this black Charvel! I think it's an 86 or 87, but I'm not sure. It was broken when I got it, or at least when you plugged it in no sound came out. I opened up the jack and sure enough one wire was broken at the solder joint. A quick repair with a soldering iron and it works!
    It's a little beat up, it's obviously been well used and has a few chips and scratches. It's missing the bar and someone swapped out the bridge pickup, but it still plays well. I put new strings on it and messed around with it for a month or two then I set it aside and kind of forgot about it. Just recently I was looking at picking up a cheap Fender Squire Strat when I realized I should just get the model 1A tuned up and play with it.
    So I figured I should introduce myself so I can ask a few questions. I want to pick up a tremelo bar for it, and swap out the bridge pickup for an original Jackson again. A few of the frets are a little worn, but I'm just got to clean it up and leave it alone for now.
    Anyway, I was amazed to find a free guitar so similar to my pride and joy. And I always wanted a black guitar, so I'm thrilled to have found this one. And I look forward to poking around here a bit more.

Last edited by Autoarcheologist; 02-06-2020, 08:23 PM. Reason: Updating photos

I will give you your money back for it! Pick up should be j-100(I may have one not sure with out diggen through parts boxes) I think the bridge is supposed to be a goth vintage unit. should be able to find a screw in bar from allparts.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
      I will give you your money back for it! Pick up should be j-100(I may have one not sure with out diggen through parts boxes) I think the bridge is supposed to be a goth vintage unit. should be able to find a screw in bar from allparts.
      Thanks for the tip, I ordered a new arm today from Allparts.
      I also adjusted the truss rod a bit to try to eliminate some fret buzz. It's etter but not completely gone.

I have never had a guitar with a vintage style tremolo. How many springs did they normally use on them? Mine had four so I pulled one off to see if the bridge would float a little and reduce the buzz.

​​​​​​​Paranoid, if you have a spare J100 you'd like to sell I'm interested. I plan to pull the pick guard soon to clean the pots and see what the bridge pickup is. It's some brand of blade humbucker.

Comment

Your photos don't work. You need to upload them to a third-party image hosting website (https://www.google.com/search?newwin...4dUDCAg&uact=5), copy the generated links, and paste them back here to the forum.

A Model 1A is high on my list of desired guitars. The sound of a Strat with the familiar feel of a Charvel. My Model 1C is versatile and I have a push-pull volume pot to split the aftermarket DiMarzio PAF Pro but would not turn down the chance to acquire a Model 1A cheaply... or find one dumped on the curb like you did! Amazing!

As for the springs on my Model 1C, I use 3. The guitar is strung with D'Addario 9-42 gauge strings tuned to E-standard and I configured the trem to float a little bit (so that I can raise the pitch with the whammy bar).

I was also using 3 springs when I originally strung this guitar with 10-46 gauge, still tuned to E-standard, and "decking" the trem (no upward trem movement, only diving). Depending on your string gauge, your tuning, and how you want to set up your trem (to float or to dive-only), start with 3 springs and go from there.

Comment

I found I have 2 round j-100's with Jackson logo. the logo's are just a little worn but still mostly white. I will put an ohm meter to them tomorrow and see if they are any good.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
            I found I have 2 round j-100's with Jackson logo. the logo's are just a little worn but still mostly white. I will put an ohm meter to them tomorrow and see if they are any good.
            Awesome, thanks! I'm not in a rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              Your photos don't work. You need to upload them to a third-party image hosting website (https://www.google.com/search?newwin...4dUDCAg&uact=5), copy the generated links, and paste them back here to the forum.

A Model 1A is high on my list of desired guitars. The sound of a Strat with the familiar feel of a Charvel. My Model 1C is versatile and I have a push-pull volume pot to split the aftermarket DiMarzio PAF Pro but would not turn down the chance to acquire a Model 1A cheaply... or find one dumped on the curb like you did! Amazing!

As for the springs on my Model 1C, I use 3. The guitar is strung with D'Addario 9-42 gauge strings tuned to E-standard and I configured the trem to float a little bit (so that I can raise the pitch with the whammy bar).

I was also using 3 springs when I originally strung this guitar with 10-46 gauge, still tuned to E-standard, and "decking" the trem (no upward trem movement, only diving). Depending on your string gauge, your tuning, and how you want to set up your trem (to float or to dive-only), start with 3 springs and go from there.
              Yeah I noticed that, they worked at first then disappeared. I will upload them and repost.

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this thing, especially since it's so close to my existing guitar. But it'd just rough enough I'm comfortable letting my girls play with it so I can preserve my Model 3.

So I got the arm today, but it's the wrong size. I ordered a 10-32 arm but I'm guessing it's. 6mm. Since I have the back off I can see the threads on the bottom of the trem, and I will grab a 6mm bolt and test it before ordering another arm. The good news is that Allparts had it to me in twp days.

Comment

Nice! Can't beat free.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Autoarcheologist Glad you are not in a hurry! I finally remembered to ohm out these j-100's. 1 is 6.08k, and the other is 6.12, so they both should work fine. If interested $25.00 pay pal gift each shipped in U.S.A. I will sell 1 or both. If you want pics, pm me a cell #, or email address and I will have my wife text you some.
                  Last edited by paranoid; 02-15-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I figured out that the arm I bought is the wrong size, I bought one with a 10-32 thread and I need a 6mm thread. I grabbed a bolt and checked it just in case.

Paranoid I will send a PM, I'd live to see a photo and assuming they look OK will take one of them.

Comment

That's a helluva score right there!

Comment

Working...
                      X