Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I've had this 5fx in firecrackle for years now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've had this 5fx in firecrackle for years now...

...and other than springing for a new gf's heavy duty Floyd copy..I've pretty much left it in its stock J95 humbucker bridge J100 single coil neck configuration for its entire life (I've owned this one since 1990) and a three way one volume no tone .
    Well a few years ago it started having issues with the neck pup cutting in and out and finally no signal at all.
    Troubleshooting it came down to either the three way switch or the pup itself.
    So early on in my thought process was to just repair what's broken and roll with it. But.....the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I wanted to hit rod this already really capable platform.
    I'm going with..
    STK-S4N Plus stacked single coil sized hb in the neck
    TB-15 Alternative 8 Trembucker in the bridge
    Switchcraft three way switch
    And...
    I was contemplating a push pull to split the hb in the bridge...but with a splittable hb in the neck and another in the bridge I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out the way to make all this work.
    As I was trying to figure this out it made me question what it was I was really looking for it if this thing...when it was up and running well, I REALLY liked the sounds of the J100 neck, but with no tone knob, regardless of the sweet chimney bell like tone of the wide open pup
    ..I REALLY only use a neck pup if I have a way to regulate the tone.
    So instead of trying to wire switching menu of options with a push pull pot...I decided to simplify things but cool factor it up a tiny bit.
    So...pups choices remain the same
    Neither will be split.
    Im going to run a concentric stacked 500k pot and wire one inner knob for volume and outer for tone.
    I'm FINALLY putting a long wanted tone knob on this thing WITHOUT cutting into the body (new tone knob placement).
    Having NO idea how to slap this altogether is kind of daunting but Fuck it...I've already bought everything and just waiting on all components to arrive.
    Wish me luck!
    😂

I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Fuck...
    The stack pickups won't fit the 5fx single coil route. I took it for granted that ANY single coil route would be adequate. Dammit
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Why won't the single coil fit; is it because of the triangular flange on the bottom? If so, you can always order those pickups without the flange. If there's another issue, I'm sure someone at Seymour Duncan or someone on their forum could help you out.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The route itself is too shallow to accommodate the physical height of the pup. If the pup rests on the floor of the route, the pole pieces are WELL above the plane of the not just the fret board but the frets themselves. Unless I get it routed deeper this pup will not work

Comment

Ah, that sucks. Didn't realize they made them so tall.

Comment

Yeah...going with a bare knuckles single coil Trilogy instead

Comment

Nice. I've heard good things about those. You do know that is a true single coil and will give hum, right? They don't make any hum-cancelling or stacked pickups for their singles.

Comment

Yeah I know and I I'm good with it.

Comment

Cool. Good luck with it! Would love to hear what you think of it.

Comment

I’ll let you know.,, still waiting for it

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                      As I was trying to figure this out it made me question what it was I was really looking for it if this thing...when it was up and running well, I REALLY liked the sounds of the J100 neck, but with no tone knob, regardless of the sweet chimney bell like tone of the wide open pup
                      ..I REALLY only use a neck pup if I have a way to regulate the tone.

Just a thought, but maybe after the switch or whatever it is , is solved , that adding the tone circuit to your existing set up might get you where you want to be.

As I said, just a thought
                      Good luck with your project

Comment

The guitar is gong to Philtone music in Baltimore tomorrow
                        I've had this thing for YEARS...I'm going all out on it.
                        It'll be a NUGD for me when I get it back and I'm in no rush

Comment

I have the same exact guitar and color. My was an empty shell bought on ebay, I went with a Duncan Hot Rails Neck and a J90C in the bridge.

Sounds good, but I think I like having the blade switch in my 550XL better. Stock pickups (J200R, J90C), but I put in a 5 way super switch and get lots of great tones.

Comment

Working...
                          X