Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Dimas Pro-Mod too bright, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Pro-Mod too bright, need help!

Hey guys! I've bought a new San Dimas Pro-Mod HT Snow White (2018) and after replacing the JB in the bridge with my favourite SD Custom Custom, I still find the guitar sound bright so I have some questions if any kind soul might wanna answer them, especially if someone has gone down the road I'm headed:

1. The no-load pot - I lower it to 9 in order to not have that much brightness but the sound gets kinda nasal and it irks me. Would swapping the no-load to a standard tone pot (or an addition of a cap) help with making the guitar less bright? If so, which value do you suggest? (I'm kind of a noob lol.)

2. Has anyone tried to change the wiring somewhat and swap the stock pots? I wonder if that would help since I don't need all the 6 pack of sound thing for my thing.

3. I've looked into the guitar cavity and cannot see the value of the volume pot or tone pot written anywhere. Googled and can't find a solid answer. What's the value of the volume pot and tone pot that comes with this guitar?

4. I've put a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and I like it even tho I'd appreciate if I could reduce the trebliness a bit. I don't know the value of the volume pot, as I've mentioned in the intro. What would be the best value of the volume pot to go with this pickup?

If someone did any of the mods to their SD, feel free to share what mods you did to it to make it better!

Thanks a bunch!

I have no DIRECT experience with any of the issues you're facing; however, the below information might point you in the right direction:

1) The no-load tone pot is supposed to replicate a normal tone pot once you turn it down past a certain point (from 0 to 9). Swapping to a standard tone pot would accomplish everything the no-load tone pot performs, except without the "no-load" portion (the 10 position).

2) n/a; see #3 below for additional comments.

3) Since it's a guitar equipped with two humbuckers, it's a good bet that both pots should be 500K. Try switching one or both pots to 250K pots to darken the sound of the guitar. See if you prefer it over the sound produced at 500K. I've heard of people adding additional capacitors too. So many combinations to try when wiring that it's overwhelming to someone like me with only rudimentary electronics knowledge, because the experts get deep into very minute details Newc likes to call "secrets of the universe".

4) The Duncan Custom Custom is a bright pickup. Either choose a darker one (the first "really dark" pickups that come to mind are the Duncan Invader, DiMarzio Breed, and DiMarzio Tone Zone) or try the suggestions in #3 above.

Final suggestion: I'm lazy and try to live with default pickup configurations, so I usually adjust the amp before tinkering with anything else. Maybe roll off your treble and/or presence slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      I have no DIRECT experience with any of the issues you're facing; however, the below information might point you in the right direction:

1) The no-load tone pot is supposed to replicate a normal tone pot once you turn it down past a certain point (from 0 to 9). Swapping to a standard tone pot would accomplish everything the no-load tone pot performs, except without the "no-load" portion (the 10 position).

2) n/a; see #3 below for additional comments.

3) Since it's a guitar equipped with two humbuckers, it's a good bet that both pots should be 500K. Try switching one or both pots to 250K pots to darken the sound of the guitar. See if you prefer it over the sound produced at 500K. I've heard of people adding additional capacitors too. So many combinations to try when wiring that it's overwhelming to someone like me with only rudimentary electronics knowledge, because the experts get deep into very minute details Newc likes to call "secrets of the universe".

4) The Duncan Custom Custom is a bright pickup. Either choose a darker one (the first "really dark" pickups that come to mind are the Duncan Invader, DiMarzio Breed, and DiMarzio Tone Zone) or try the suggestions in #3 above.

Final suggestion: I'm lazy and try to live with default pickup configurations, so I usually adjust the amp before tinkering with anything else. Maybe roll off your treble and/or presence slightly.
      Thank you! I've taken your advice into consideration and have found some helpful info yesterday so we'll see (and hear )

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by vekii View Post
        Hey guys! I've bought a new San Dimas Pro-Mod HT Snow White (2018) and after replacing the JB in the bridge with my favourite SD Custom Custom, I still find the guitar sound bright so I have some questions if any kind soul might wanna answer them, especially if someone has gone down the road I'm headed:

1. The no-load pot - I lower it to 9 in order to not have that much brightness but the sound gets kinda nasal and it irks me. Would swapping the no-load to a standard tone pot (or an addition of a cap) help with making the guitar less bright? If so, which value do you suggest? (I'm kind of a noob lol.)

2. Has anyone tried to change the wiring somewhat and swap the stock pots? I wonder if that would help since I don't need all the 6 pack of sound thing for my thing.

3. I've looked into the guitar cavity and cannot see the value of the volume pot or tone pot written anywhere. Googled and can't find a solid answer. What's the value of the volume pot and tone pot that comes with this guitar?

4. I've put a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and I like it even tho I'd appreciate if I could reduce the trebliness a bit. I don't know the value of the volume pot, as I've mentioned in the intro. What would be the best value of the volume pot to go with this pickup?

If someone did any of the mods to their SD, feel free to share what mods you did to it to make it better!

Thanks a bunch!
        Try 250k pots!

Comment

Working...
        X