San Dimas and tennis elbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas and tennis elbow?

I added a San Dimas to my collection a couple of months ago and love the guitar. The neck is awesome and with the flatter radius, I find I can play noticeably faster on it than my other guitars. While I have been enjoying it, I also noticed a swelling on my left fretting hand elbow. The swelling got a little better when I switched to my strat while the San Dimas was in the shop for a pick up change.

I thought the swelling might be bone cancer as my mother had cancer in her left arm so I had it checked out. The doctor told me it was tennis elbow, which I did not associate with playing the guitar so I did not ask him about that. I got the San Dimas back the day I saw the doctor, played it for an hour or so and immediately the arm pain got worse again. Hmm. I wondered if that particular guitar could be a contributing factor so I asked on another guitar-related forum I am active in. A couple of other members noted that that particular guitar did cause more stress on their fretting hand.

Has anyone on this forum had a similar experience? And by the way, if you suffer from guitar-related tendonitis, or want to avoid it, here's a link to a very helpful video from a member of that forum. It's done wonders for my recovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=brPzQdBaSjg

The back shape can impact hand placement and "grip".
    This can cause tennis elbow or at least aggravate it.
    Had it happen to me when I got my Les Paul. Put it down for a week and just played my other guitars and I was fine.
    Still play the LP, just not as much as before.

Thanks for the video.
    -Rick

Comment

Years ago I had an Ibanez RG custom that had the thinnest neck I've ever played; I've recounted to people many many times since that it used to make my wrist hurt after a while...

Comment

Working...
      X