Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first hopefully not last Charvel 750XL

[IMG][/IMG]

So this guitar has changed hands a few times on Reverb it seems. I am happy that it does have a les paul tone, but with that great Charvel neck. I hate the fact that someone has painted over a transparent finish over the maple top, and I have been reaching out to a few shops to see what it might take to bring it back.
    [

I had to weigh it

Congrats! Are you sure it's a mahogany body with flamed maple top under there? There were solid colors made that were apparently basswood and not mahogany. I don't know why someone would paint over it otherwise, but people have been known to do stupid things.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congrats on the 750! There is a thread on this forum about this guitar being sold to a GC a few years ago. This guitar has made its rounds. I hope it found a new longer term home! They are such incredible instruments. You definitely got a good price on it - being a refin. But I would err on the side of caution assuming it's a maple/mahogany guitar as toejam suggested. Many (if not all) the solid finish guitars were poplar or basswood with a maple cap but not flamed maple cap.

When I first saw this guitar I assumed it was originally black then had the white done to add the zebra effect. But I don't think it would be possible to do that and after seeing better closeup pics, it doesn't look to be the case. Interesting none the less!

I will say that mine (trans finish flame maple / mahogany back) weighs in at almost the same weight with a trem route. So it probably isn't basswood if I had to guess. Most soloists (even the USA stuff) was made with poplar in that era so it is not a bad wood choice either. Not sure why it isn't used much these days.

Comment

Yes it seems that most if not all solid finish guitars were basswood with the maple cap, but according to the Audiozone.DK website all string-thru body 750's were transparent finish guitars with Mahogany bodies. That is one of the reasons I included the weight of the guitar which I think is an indicator as well. Also using the Audiozone website once again the serial number of my current guitar was right around the same numbers as a lot of string-thru JT390 bridge productions.

That being said, I would not care if this guitar was made out of plywood as it has a great tone and I can say that it will not be for sale in the near future. [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Mine (string thru, cherry burst) weighs 8lbs 10oz.

What pickups are you running? I have a Full Shred set and I'm pretty happy with it. I had the Distortion Mayhem set but it was a bit too much.

Comment

Have seen that one up for sale a few times over the past few years for sure. Glad you are digging it. I just sold my string thru 750xl project, as I’m more a trem guy, and don’t have the time to tackle a project that I’ve already had sitting around for years. I can confirm the one I got rid of was originally a trans amber.

Comment

Supposedly Seymour Duncan Slash, and I have yet to confirm that is the case.

Comment

I am kind of worried why this guitar has changed hands so many times. I wonder if the screaming paint job was used to cover a repair, but if that is the case they have done a good job to hide the defect.

I thank all that have commented, as I love learning more about these great guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverenough View Post
                  I am kind of worried why this guitar has changed hands so many times.
                  The guitar is 30 years old.
                  And the paint job is definitely a "niche" market. It is going to be passed around. Not a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                  X