2017 MIM Charvel: Floyd Sustain Block Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 MIM Charvel: Floyd Sustain Block Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the sustain block on their MIM Charvel, which has the FR 1000? Mine came with a size 32, and I'm wondering if the 32mm L-block will fit or I could go up to a 37mm block.

Thanks!

Nope sure haven't. I've only upgraded my MIJ Charvel.

Comment

I upgraded my Satchel with a brass clock. 37mm fits.

Comment

32mm is for recessed installs. 37mm is for top mount installs (i.e. the Satchel). 42mm is for installs on guitars with thicker bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          I upgraded my Satchel with a brass clock. 37mm fits.
          Fits sure, but how well does it keep the time?
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
            32mm is for recessed installs. 37mm is for top mount installs (i.e. the Satchel). 42mm is for installs on guitars with thicker bodies.
            Yep, and if you're going upgrade to a brass block, you should consider upgrading to a brass spring claw at the same time, which will help bring back some of the highs.
            '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
            '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
            '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
            '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
            '90 Charvel 475 XL
            '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
            Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
            Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
            Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post
              Yep, and if you're going upgrade to a brass block, you should consider upgrading to a brass spring claw at the same time, which will help bring back some of the highs.
              Yup, I got the brass spring claw and titanium screws. I also got the regular 32MM and the L-Block 32mm. Hoping I can make the L-Block work.

Comment

The 37mm L block does NOT fit in my MIM San Dimas. I had to saw the L off. The reg 37mm block and the brass spring claw are good upgrades though. I believe it noticeably approved tone and sustain.

Comment

I just installed a 37mm on my 2017 MIM Charvel ProMod. My Floyd is a German OFR, The block came from FR, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post

People usually get thicker brass blocks to help with sustain and bring back warmth. I don't really think a spring claw would affect tone, but if it did, wouldn't it yield warmer tone instead of bringing back some high end?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I did both at same time. The guitar is definitely warmer now. It was a little too shrill for me before.

Comment

Working...
                      X