I won't buy another MIM guitar for this specific reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I won't buy another MIM guitar for this specific reason

I've owned a Charvel from the first MIM run they ever did, and a Japenese Pro Mod Socal, and a 2016 MIM neck on a Partscaster I had put together.

I just can't get past the fact that the damn necks feel like Fender necks, it's just not thin enough like they used to be back in the day.

I've played much cheaper guitars at the store that had a way better feeling neck and was thinner & much faster.

I played an old Peavey Odyssey guitar made in China and the neck on that thing just ripped.

It seems they want to let you know that it's a Fender, and is staying away from the Wizard style necks they use to make.

Don't get me wrong, the quality of the MIM necks are really good, when I got mine the frets didn't need any adjustment at all, but goddamn they are just not that fast...doesn't feel like a hot-rod neck.
    Last edited by d4rin; 01-29-2019, 08:51 AM.

You say like they used to make, but don't say which ones? The MIJ's? USAs? Pre-1986 USAs?

I have three MIJ ProMods and love them. I haven't tried a MIM or the earlier USA ones.

Comment

I have a USA San Dimas, MIJ San Dimas, and most recently MIM Pro Mod San Dimas ash. All have different necks, but I 100% coool with all three. I like variety. The USA is easily the thinnest and most narrow at the nut and VERY fast, the MIJ actually might be my favorite, and the MIM perhaps slightly chunkier than MIJ, but not much at all.
      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
      '90 Charvel 475 XL
      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

But if it is a size/feel issue, that is different than a quality issue. That's just a personal preference.

I happen to have a couple USA Jackson models that have thicker necks, which I don't like as much as I do the thinner neck of the MIM San Dimas. That doesn't mean I am going to stop buying the thicker necked Jackson. It just means that I would be happier if I bought the thinner neck Jackson.

Comment

I invested in this cool product called "sandpaper".
          Too thick... rub this stuff on the back of the neck and it gets thinner.

I kid, I kid.... sort of.
          Thick necks are easy to remedy. Just don't go crazy with reshaping them.
          Taking wood away from a neck is easy... putting it back... yeah no.
          -Rick

Comment

rjohnstone
            I invested in this cool product called "sandpaper".
            Too thick... rub this stuff on the back of the neck and it gets thinner.

LOL

Comment

Aside from the colors, maple fretboard, and availability I cannot see an advantage over the new Charvels over the 90's Japanese imports. I do love looking at them! I take it they are all MIM. I do not own any newer MIM Charvels but I own a 2010 Mexico Strat Road Worn series. The neck is fine but not slim like my 90's Japanese Charvels. I would be VERY surprised if I played a new Charvel import and discovered it had a "faster" and more comfortable neck than my 90's Charvel Fusion Special or Model 7.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                Aside from the colors, maple fretboard, and availability I cannot see an advantage over the new Charvels over the 90's Japanese imports. I do love looking at them! I take it they are all MIM. I do not own any newer MIM Charvels but I own a 2010 Mexico Strat Road Worn series. The neck is fine but not slim like my 90's Japanese Charvels. I would be VERY surprised if I played a new Charvel import and discovered it had a "faster" and more comfortable neck than my 90's Charvel Fusion Special or Model 7.
                I don't think I'm too far off base saying that the new MIM or even USA Charvels are not and aren't supposed to be anything like the model series from Japan. With one exception being the super stock 1888 limited edition. I feel like they are much more of a throw back to the old USA produced Charvel guitars.

If you want something even remotely similar to the model series, get a Jackson. The model series was basically import Jackson's with a different name on the head stock so as to not tarnish the USA made Jackson branded stuff just in case they came out as crappy imports. I don't think any one expected them to be as good as they were.

Now we all know better that the "possibly crappy import" model series are incredible guitars for the money.

So if your goal is to get a shred guitar that says Charvel on the head stock and you like a thin wide neck, buy a model or contemporary series MIJ. If your goal is to get a classic super strat before the shred neck profile was popular and you don't want to buy a vintage USA, buy a new MIM or USA if you have a little more money to spend.

Comment

My 2013 San Dimas is different from any of my 2016 San Dimas guitars. They did a design change. I like the neck of the 2016 better than the 2013.
                  In 2013, they used the "Classic San Dimas profile" (whatever that means). And in 2016, they went with the Jackson Speed Neck.

And, yes, EntrailsOfU, you are correct. The 1986-era Charvel guitars (the Model Series) were not "Charvel" guitars. They were the 'cheap import' version of Jackson. It was, if you think about it, Jackson's version of Epiphone or Squier - don't tarnish the brand name.
                  Today's Charvel are more of a throwback to the original Charvel - a hot rodded Fender, the pre-cursor of Jackson.

But I will point out with the Model Series - even they don't all have the same neck.
                  I don't know all of the guitars, but as far as the Model 6 goes, the 1986 had a much thinner neck than the 1987-88.

**A Google search lead me to this thread, so I thought I might revisit it.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                    Since pianoguyy revived this thread I'll chime in. The advantage is if you want a Strat head. Sounds like the trade off is the neck isn't the same shape as the import Charvels of the '80s, early '90s. At least from my sample size of two. My buddy's MIM Pro-mod and the Pro-mod neck I put on a parts caster. Neither feels like the Jackson Fusion neck I love. Even though I like the neck I am a little disappointed as what I really wanted for that guitar is a Strat head neck that feels like a Jackson. Here are some measurements I took from a Charvel Fusion Deluxe and my Pro-mod neck.

Fusion Pro-mod 650xl
                    1st 0.785" 0.804 0.797"
                    3rd 0.748" 0.775" 0.810"
                    12th 0.860" 0.840" 0.938"

Though the thickness isn't all that different the feel sure is. I also threw the 650xl in there because it's thicker than the Pro-mod from the 3rd fret on but the profile feels more akin to the Fusion. I don't think it feels like it flattens into as much of a "D" as the Fusion. This would make sense since I read on here the Soloist has a different shape from the other Jacksons. I still think I prefer the feel of the 650xl over the Pro-mod. The Fusion is my favorite of what I own. The quality of the Pro-mod is top notch though. The fret ends are perfect and I do like the feel of the satin finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post

Since pianoguyy revived this thread I'll chime in. The advantage is if you want a Strat head. Sounds like the trade off is the neck isn't the same shape as the import Charvels of the '80s, early '90s. At least from my sample size of two. My buddy's MIM Pro-mod and the Pro-mod neck I put on a parts caster. Neither feels like the Jackson Fusion neck I love. Even though I like the neck I am a little disappointed as what I really wanted for that guitar is a Strat head neck that feels like a Jackson. Here are some measurements I took from a Charvel Fusion Deluxe and my Pro-mod neck.

Fusion Pro-mod 650xl
                      1st 0.785" 0.804 0.797"
                      3rd 0.748" 0.775" 0.810"
                      12th 0.860" 0.840" 0.938"

Though the thickness isn't all that different the feel sure is. I also threw the 650xl in there because it's thicker than the Pro-mod from the 3rd fret on but the profile feels more akin to the Fusion. I don't think it feels like it flattens into as much of a "D" as the Fusion. This would make sense since I read on here the Soloist has a different shape from the other Jacksons. I still think I prefer the feel of the 650xl over the Pro-mod. The Fusion is my favorite of what I own. The quality of the Pro-mod is top notch though. The fret ends are perfect and I do like the feel of the satin finish.
                      I'm a huge fan of the early '90s MIJs from Charvel and Jackson Pro. The 475 and 650 formed the foundation of my early identity as a guitarist.

My '92 Soloist Pro and '91 650 Custom started out as practically clones of each other, and both fight for my #1 slot all the time thanks to the PERFECT neck profile. I converted the 650 over to EMG 85/SLV/SLV and added an EMG SPC mid boost since the original owner had taken out the JE-1200. Another huge but good change was adding Dunlop 6100 SS frets. It is otherwise stock apart from Callaham springs (straight 3 setup)., which are one of the first mods I add to any guitar with a trem. I use this guitar for my most adventurous prog metal and thrash original explorations and covers, including intricate stuff like Megadeth.

I also wanted something different for the Soloist, so I added a J80C at the bridge for a little more oomph and J200R at the neck for the same reason. I also gave it a Tone5 32mm Titanium FAT block, FU Titanium claw, and Raw Vintage 5 springs. Still has the JE-1200, which works fine, although if it ever keeled over, I'd replace it with the SPC. I had it refretted with nickel 6100s, although that was before I discovered my local SS contact. Going forward, all of my refrets will be SS! This is my defacto Randy Rhoads guitar when I need a trem, until the day when I finally pick up an MIJ Concorde style (the high end ones...TN02). I absolutely love the lead sound of the old J50BC, 80C and 90C.

As a result of all this, the two are quite different in sound and slightly different in feel, each one being killer examples of that approach. It's fun comparing them side by side considering they started out almost identical (to my senses at least, I didn't caliper the necks) other than ebony vs rosewood board (which is very significant IMO) and a painted headstock for the 650.

I also did a similar thing to make my two 475s different from each other, which I'll probably outline in a thread later. I am not one who feels every guitar must be modified; however, I don't really like having two guitars which are exactly alike, so I make meaningful changes.

I fully respect the recent MIMs based on my experiences. In fact, I've been more impressed by them than the MII Jacksons when it comes to fretwork.
                      Last edited by Black Shadow; 03-14-2021, 10:57 AM.
                      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                      '90 Charvel 475 XL
                      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

I love the feel of the MIM Pro Mod necks and I dig the feel of the Model series necks too. I really don't care for the wide thin 24 fret Jackson necks myself. There's just something about a 22 fret neck that ticks all the boxes for me. The Pro Mod necks feel insanely close to my Musikraft "Charvel clone" neck I ordered in 2006 and it is one hella nice guitar neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Shadow View Post

I'm a huge fan of the early '90s MIJs from Charvel and Jackson Pro. The 475 and 650 formed the foundation of my early identity as a guitarist.

My '92 Soloist Pro and '91 650 Custom started out as practically clones of each other, and both fight for my #1 slot all the time thanks to the PERFECT neck profile. I converted the 650 over to EMG 85/SLV/SLV and added an EMG SPC mid boost since the original owner had taken out the JE-1200. Another huge but good change was adding Dunlop 6100 SS frets. It is otherwise stock apart from Callaham springs (straight 3 setup)., which are one of the first mods I add to any guitar with a trem. I use this guitar for my most adventurous prog metal and thrash original explorations and covers, including intricate stuff like Megadeth.

I also wanted something different for the Soloist, so I added a J80C at the bridge for a little more oomph and J200R at the neck for the same reason. I also gave it a Tone5 32mm Titanium FAT block, FU Titanium claw, and Raw Vintage 5 springs. Still has the JE-1200, which works fine, although if it ever keeled over, I'd replace it with the SPC. I had it refretted with nickel 6100s, although that was before I discovered my local SS contact. Going forward, all of my refrets will be SS! This is my defacto Randy Rhoads guitar when I need a trem, until the day when I finally pick up an MIJ Concorde style (the high end ones...TN02). I absolutely love the lead sound of the old J50BC, 80C and 90C.

As a result of all this, the two are quite different in sound and slightly different in feel, each one being killer examples of that approach. It's fun comparing them side by side considering they started out almost identical (to my senses at least, I didn't caliper the necks) other than ebony vs rosewood board (which is very significant IMO) and a painted headstock for the 650.

I also did a similar thing to make my two 475s different from each other, which I'll probably outline in a thread later. I am not one who feels every guitar must be modified; however, I don't really like having two guitars which are exactly alike, so I make meaningful changes.

I fully respect the recent MIMs based on my experiences. In fact, I've been more impressed by them than the MII Jacksons when it comes to fretwork.
                          Those are sweet guitars. My 650 was my #1 for many years after I got it in the late '90s but as of late I've really fell in love with the Fusion series so it doesn't get played much.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                            I love the feel of the MIM Pro Mod necks and I dig the feel of the Model series necks too. I really don't care for the wide thin 24 fret Jackson necks myself. There's just something about a 22 fret neck that ticks all the boxes for me. The Pro Mod necks feel insanely close to my Musikraft "Charvel clone" neck I ordered in 2006 and it is one hella nice guitar neck.
                            Sounds like the old saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure" applies here.

Comment

I've had a few of the MIJ 2010 Charvels and besides the original 80's pieces they are easily my favorite. Very consistent and the neck shapes to me are just perfect
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X