No announcement yet.

Beat up old Charvel Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few days ago on Craigslist, I came across a Model 6 that had a huge cavity carved through the entire depth of the guitar, but if I recall, the guitar looked structurally sound otherwise. While I can't remember the precise price, it was somewhat cheap enough to qualify for a "Deal Alert" post but I hesitated posting it because of the butchering. The listing disappeared quickly and I regret not posting it even if just to generate some interesting discussion.

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
    I used to think that all Model 6's were USA made. Then along came the toothpaste logo, Japanese made 650XL to replace it. Not sure if that is entirely accurate.
    All Model Series and toothpaste logo guitars were Japanese. Except this American-made 1985 prototype Model 6 made in San Dimas: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/14...n-or-a-Charvel and any other prototypes that may exist (that thread hints at a suspicious white Soloist/Model 6).

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
    I have always wondered hich is more desirable: Model 6 or 650XL? I know that both are fine instruments.
    If I were asked to choose between two equally priced guitars and they were both in the same condition, I would probably pick the 650. I realize the JT590 trem on the 650 is not perfect but I'll take that over the Model 6's pot metal construction of the JT6 trem and my personal unfamiliarity with Kahler trems.

Some of the Model Series spiritually survived into the toothpaste logo Charvel era. You can tell the 375 is related to the Model 3 (HSS pickups, two controls), the 475 is related to the Model 4 (HSS pickups, three controls), the 550 is related to the Model 5 (Soloist Student style trim), and the 650 is related to the Model 6 (Soloist Custom style trim).

I had two issues with it: the trem tension always felt tight and it broke strings like crazy. My luthier worked on it and it never improved.
    What were you and your tech's best theories on why these two issues couldn't be fixed? Usually string breaking issues can be diagnosed based on where the strings repeatedly break; ie - sharp nut edges would manifest as strings breaking at the nut, sharp saddle edges would result in more strings breaking at the bridge, etc.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the import issue. I remember back in the late 80's, a friend of mine ordered a brand new Model 6 and the store told him he was lucky to get one of the last with the old logo. Never quite knew what he meant by that. I assumed his was USA made and "better".

My 650 woes: Never did remedy the situation. There was no burr but I guess the small differences in measurements between the JTXXX and the Schaller was the only thing that could have caused it. I played it so little with the original tremolo, I could not remember if it felt the same.

Comment

I have two M6's and a 650XL that I need to finish restoring.

It's a toss up. I like the M6 Charvel logo, but I like the floyd nut on the 650XL.

Comment

thats a very beautiful model 6!!!!!!.

The quality of those is way better than current Charvel/Jackson USA !!

look at this Signature Warren DiMartini Charvel USA neck >>
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charvel-War...frcectupt=true

its made or rare CrapWood a new modern tonewood LOL..

Originally posted by Jushien L View Post
          Not sure if I'm uploading the pictures correctly but I really wish I would've taken before and after pictures of this guitar. I got this Model 6 off Craigslist for a steal of 200.00. The guitar was in pretty bad shape, had Jimi Hendrix stickers all over the guitar, the fretboard was terribly dirty, I mean crusty. Rusted frets. All the pots were corroded and no good. Took a few hours to replace the pots, another few to clean up the fretboard and steel wool the fret wire. What's crazy is it took longest to get all the sticker residue off this thing. Now, new pots, fretboard looks great, still beat up but I think it looks sexy like that. I've asked people about the year of this guitar due to the serial numbers on the back of the headstock. People told me it's an 1986 model that has a stock JT-6 bridge instead of a Kahler so it's a guitar that transitioned from 86 to 87. Kinda cool but here's the pics[IMG][/IMG]
          Last edited by JacksonPyro; 03-31-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I've already seen that POS. Mighty Mite (or less) neck with a decal applied. Don't see how it hasn't been flagged yet.

Comment

that makes makes some sense .. i ve noticed a decline but not that much

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I've already seen that POS. Mighty Mite (or less) neck with a decal applied. Don't see how it hasn't been flagged yet.

Comment

So it is pre-relic'd for you.

I bought my 650 Custom from some poor guy who had absolutely no idea what it was or what it was worth as he inherited it. Some schmuck had an ill-sounding EMG 81 at the bridge but the stock passive singles in the other two slots with no compensation! Also filthy and must have had 8 year old strings....

I gave it a complete resurrection with new EMGs/SPC and it is my favorite overall Charvel and overall active guitar.

'95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                '90 Charvel 475 XL
                '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
                X