Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experiences with neck heavy/unbalanced Made in Japan-CHARVELs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences with neck heavy/unbalanced Made in Japan-CHARVELs.

Dear community,

I am new to this forum and just did a search before posting here.
    Unfortunately, I could not find any thread about "my" problem, so here we go...

Japanese-made CHARVELs from the mid 80s to 90s, I would like to say, have a very good reputation judging from the talk of the web.
    Over the last few years I was able to spot several new old stock Charvels from that era in my country or in the close neighborhood. One was a 375 Deluxe, another a Model 7 which I had been searching for for a decade. I also found several Model 4's and 5's.

The thing is that not just a few of them are neckheavy, unbalanced. More or less like 50% tend to suffer from this.
    Is this a phenomenon that others have experienced, too? Or is it just a personal impression?

I should add that I own around 50 guitars from US-made G&L's (Invader), Guild's (X-79), Fender's and Peavey's ('92 Vandenberg) to a ton of nice, classic shred-era Japanese Ibanez's (RG 760, Radius, several Roadstars and such), Westone's (Monark), and Yamaha's (1221) or Czech-assembled Kramer's (Pacer Custom II) and dozens of Korean axes. I also once owned a US-made Baretta I. So I have some comparison at hand. But I do not experience this neckheaviness with any of the others.

So again the question: Who else had the same experiences?

Cheers guys and shred on,
    doctorrockter

Sorry, never heard of it.

I have plenty of MIJ Charvels and never had any issues.

I only hear about this issue with SG's.

Comment

I've never found any of my Charvels to be neckheavy. The dimensions of the strat-body imports (Models 1-4) are pretty much like a Fender strat & balance similarly.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, I've owned a bunch of MIJ Charvels, I've never had any that were neck heavy.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have like 30 Charvels hanging from the ceiling hanging on cup hooks(single hanging point), USA and Japan. They all balance about 6" behind were the neck meets the body.

Comment

I call B.S. on a neck diving J/C bolt-on strat of any kind.

Comment

Yeah, none of mine have this issue between 3 model series and a 375

Comment

I have 6 from the model series and a 475 deluxe. Not a single one is neck heavy. The strats design was intended to make this a non issue. The strap button sits at the 12th fret for this reason.

Comment

I had Model 6. It was the 87-88 version (which had the thicker neck). It was certainly not what I would call neck heavy. But I could feel the difference in neck weight between it and the 86.

Comment

Working...
                  X