Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange ibanez j.custom for 750Xl

Hey guys.

I am meeting one guy who is selling his ibanez j.custom rg8520. I offered him to exchange my charvel 750Xl for his ibanez. I really like my 750Xl but this ibanez is custom model and is also beautiful. If I would have money I would just buy this j.custom. The thing is I dont know what to expect from ibanez as I never played j.custom. In my soul I dont really wont to get rid of 750Xl, however if we make a deal I think I would be better of? What do you thing about it? The another thing which bother me is that there are a lot of j.customs on reverb and they are still producing them, however there are no 750Xl on ebay and reverb so I thing in long term 750Xl would be more valuable.

This is the ibanez

That's up to you. The Charvel 750XL is a great guitar. That particular J Custom is supposed to be top of the line, but if you couldn't play it first, I'm not sure I would do the deal.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNikiti View Post
      The another thing which bother me is that there are a lot of j.customs on reverb and they are still producing them,
      You are partially correct about this. The RG8520 is still currently offered, but the model name itself has been reused through the years for slightly different versions: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG8520_(disambiguation)

If the one being offered to you is the one in the video you linked, it's the 2001-02 version with four control knobs: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG8520_(2001%E2%80%932002)

If true, if you think about it, neither the 750xl nor that version of the RG8520 are still being produced.

Originally posted by AlexNikiti View Post
      but this ibanez is custom model
      J.Custom does not mean custom in the true sense of the word. They're still production models at their core, with fixed specifications.

The real decision comes down to you playing and comparing both guitars. I love both brands but I still have yet to play or own a 750xl and any true Ibanez Prestige/J.Custom (though I've owned several Golden Age and Pre-Prestige RGs) so I can't offer first-hand experience on those specific models.

Comment

I didnt know that charvel... beautiful guitar i would never let it go
        [SoUnDcLoUd]

Comment

I would even trade my trusty old RG620 workhorse (which may not be too interesting in monetary value, but our history) for a 750XL. but I'd never trade a 750XL for any Ibanez
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I have a couple 750XLs and a couple J-Customs. You say "I am meeting one guy...", so bottom line, play the J-Custom and decide for yourself if it is a good trade in your mind (and remember, he may wish not to take the Charvel in trade).

With the Charvel, you have a set-neck and a 24.75" scale length and a neck that is probably thicker/more round than the J-Custom. With the J-Custom you are getting a 25.5" scale bolt-on neck with Mahogany body/flame maple top, 5-piece neck, rosewood, two Dimarzio pickups. This spec is very common with Ibanez guitars, they offer many with similar specs. As mentioned, the J-Custom neck profile will probably be on the thinner side. These two guitars will feel/play different from each other, so again, it comes down to what feels best to you.

The J-Customs are made at the FujiGen factory which is staffed by the most experienced/best trained luthiers, so fit/finish/frets/etc. will be better than a 'regular' made-in-Japan Ibanez, but remember the Japan built Ibanez's (as well as the Japan built Charvels/Jacksons) are very good in quality, so a J-Custom is just a little bit more attention to detail.

Comment

Yes one which was offered is exactly the same as on the video. Yes he told me that it was produced only from 2001-2002, however I thing it is much more rare to find superstat guitar with shtorscale and neck through than j.custom type guitar. So I am still thinking weather to exchange xl750 or not. I would find out soon how j.custom plays.

Comment

I understand. I need to try that j.custom. I have at home 2 amazing superstrats built by famous Czech luthier Janecky and they are 25.5 scale length, however they are hard tail. So if the j.custom would be too similar to that guitars I would probably keep 750Xl as it is very different than my other two guitars which I like. Would see. I am just curious how much better quality wise would be j.custom than 750Xl, if it even would be better quality.

Comment

By the way this J.Custom is honduran Mahagony. Do you know if 750Xl is Honduran or African mahagony and how big is the difference between those two woods?

Comment

First off, is you 750XL a solid color or a tinted color where you can see the wood?

What color is it?

Trem or fixed bridge?

Pictures would help.

I have a reverse headstock Ibanez USA Custom (with the chop shop graphic) and it is a very badass guitar. I also have a badass 750XL with a fixed bridge. I would have an extremely hard time trying to decide which I like more. There is a chop shop on ebay with a regular headstock and an HSH pickup config and the guy is asking $3K. Mine has a reverse headstock, HH config with EMG89 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck. A push pull pot splits the 89.

My 750XL has a Full Shred set with a Super 5 way switch. Cherry Sunburst finish with an awesome maple top.
                    Last edited by DonP; 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      First off, is you 750XL a solid color or a tinted color where you can see the wood?

What color is it?

Trem or fixed bridge?

Pictures would help.

I have a reverse headstock Ibanez USA Custom (with the chop shop graphic) and it is a very badass guitar. I also have a badass 750XL with a fixed bridge. I would have an extremely hard time trying to decide which I like more. There is a chop shop on ebay with a regular headstock and an HSH pickup config and the guy is asking $3K. Mine has a reverse headstock, HH config with EMG89 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck. A push pull pot splits the 89.

My 750XL has a Full Shred set with a Super 5 way switch. Cherry Sunburst finish with an awesome maple top.

Mine is Cherry Sunburst finish also but with Floyd which I actually blocked as I don't use it. Here are photos
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

What color is it?

Trem or fixed bridge?

Pictures would help.

Mine has active EMGs, I was actually thinking about replacing them with some passives if I would not exchange my 750XL for that ibanez. I have passives in my other two guitars. I cant say that I don't like EMGs, but there are very different and I am just curious whether 750XL would play better with passives? Would be SH-6 duncan distortion good choice? For me 750XL is little bit muddy and dark so I want some bright pickup.

Comment

here's the real question...all value aside, which one will want to make you play more? so many get caught up in monetary value they forget the true intrinsic value of an instrument...you have to ask yourself "which one will i enjoy playing more?"...i own a jem 7vwh yet i play a stripped 92 570 that is just a dream to play so if i had to sell one the jem would go first as i enjoy and play the 570 much more often...as players many of us will bond with a particular guitar regardless of how much it costs...so play them both and decide which one is right for you as a player...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                            here's the real question...all value aside, which one will want to make you play more?
                            This is the correct answer.

OP,

EMG's are known for being clear with little mud, with the 81b 60n being the least muddy. Go research the Full Shred set as well. I had the Distortion Mayhem set in there at first but it was a bit much. That Ibanez is nice, but I personally wouldn't do the trade.

Comment

I recommend keeping the Charvel. Like with any music gear, there's nothing worse than giving up something you know works/has worked for you for years, then regretting letting it go, knowing you may/will never get it back. If you want something else, get into the habit of saving up. Personally, I wouldn't give up a 750XL for any Ibanez.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X