Fair price. Charvel Model 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair price. Charvel Model 3?

Ran into a model 3 and almost pulled the trigger. Asking price at the local GS was $349, but as I got he guitar under the lights I noticed a large crack under the Floyd and appears the post is not secured. Closer inspection also revealed a redrill on the bridge pup. Neck is flawless and appears unmodified.

At worst this thing may be a jacked parts caster, at best a beat up model 3. What’s a fair price I could expect to pick up a playable model 3 from early 90’s?

Model 3s were made 1986-1989. No early 90s ones.

Since you mentioned "Floyd", I assume it's a JT6 trem, not a Kahler. The JT6-equipped Model 3s would have been 1987-1989.

Do you have any photos to share so we can accurately assess the issues versus price? Otherwise, assuming the worst out of your written description, USD$349 seems high for a Model 3 with the issues you described. The equivalent of USD$349 here in Canada can get you a Model 3 with no real structural issues, in good-to-excellent condition, and possibly with a case.

The trem post not being secure frightens me since I'm assuming worst case scenario going by your description, but without more details or photos, it's really hard to say. Is the wood around the post itself cracked, leading to the post wobbling? What does "a redrill on the bridge pickup" mean exactly? What does the "large crack under the Floyd" entail?

Comment

If the Model 3 were in good working order, then $349 would be a damn good deal on it in the states. If it's cracked under the bridge and the post has been mucked with I'd steer clear of it personally. If you could snag it dirt cheap (like 150 bucks or less) then you could buy another Model 3 body and swap the guts over.

Comment

Don’t have photos to f the damage now as I took back the money I had down on it. “Redrill,” means that someone took the bridge position pickup and moved it slightly, and then redrilled son can see two distinct set of drill holes near the bridge o-ring. There is a crack that appears from the bottom set of holes on the right face of the o-ring down time where the Floyd post is. Lots of concerns and as I dhave s a little more research I’m thinking this is a mutt with a nice neck and shoddy body/bridge. Def not worth $300.

Comment

Working...
        X