Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 So cal noisy?

Hello all,
    Since I had my first one when I'm on my second 2016 So Cal, I noticed something about both of them. The Duncan Distortion pickup seems noisy or poor ground sounding. It's only when I'm not playing this shows it's ugly Face.
    I tested all my cables and connections by using my other guitars which most of them are JB loaded in the bridge. None of them including my M1 Tiger which has a Screamin Demon in it doesn't have this issue.
    The 2016 So Cal is an awesome sounding guitar but I'm ready to pull the Distortion out as I hate the noise when you stop playing. I can palm mute the strings or roll the volume out to get rid of it but it's there when I don't.
    Is the Distortion pickup normally noisy compared to lets say the JB?

It's likely not the pickup. It's likely the wiring.

Comment

Very odd that it happens in 2 guitars. I can only say that the DD isn't noisy in my experience.

Comment

Interesting , Then I'm gonna have to go under the hood and check all Grounding wiring.

Comment

Post pictures of the control cavity

Comment

Figured it out guys , here's the kicker. It was the Bias settings on my Amp. I just got my amp serviced , all new Tubes etc and now the So Cal is quite like the rest of my Guitars.
            I plugged it in today and MAN does that guitar sing WOW. It's very different then my 2 San Dimas JB Loaded models and it's totally killer. It gets this grit like tone that the JB's don't. Not that one is "Better" then the other per say but totally different in tone. I think it also has a bit more mid range 2. This is the first time since I owned it I actually heard what it can do in my rig. Yeah I played both of them at Sam Ash through some Black Star amps but they don't hold a candle to my amp.
            The 2016 So Cal is nasty badass. I really like the living hell out of it.
            Since 2008 when I saw the Pro Mod's from Japan in Sam Ash and selling my 1985 Model 3A in white with a Black Pick Guard , I have always wanted another one in that setup.
            I was going to pick up a 2013-2015 but I really HATE the fact that the truss rod is underneath and you have to remove the neck to get to it. It's really the ONLY thing I don't like about those years So Cal. When the 2016 Model's came out with the Wheel, I had to get one and I did.
            Man what a guitar. It's intonation is perfect from the factory as Sam Ash Salesman said it came right out of the box tuned and perfectly setup. Awesome. My 2016 White San Dimas HT needed a little attention when i purchased that from CMC Guitars in NJ. The Tuning was off san so what the Intonation by a little bit. There very good Luther set it up in minutes and got it playing incredible. I Bought that one first.
            Now I want a 2016 San Dimas Tobacco Burst and I think( yeah right LOL) I'll be cool for a while. OK thats a big fat lie I want 2 more Hard tails and maybe a all Black So Cal , that would be badass. Shame they don't offer your choice of Fret Board woods. I would get a Moghanny on the Black and Maple on the Blue and Orange Satan colors.

Oh Well I'll have to make due with that they offer this year. I know I say it ALOT on this forum but man the 2016 models are amazing. Only one flaw IMO which is or isn't shared by anyone else. I don't like the Middle position only using single coils in the up and down position. I feel the down position should have had both Humbuckers like the 2013-2015 model years did without the 6 pack of sound. It's the only thing I don't like. Well the direct mount pickups are stupid as I hate how they mount and adjust. Pickup rings or a Pick guard is a much better way IMO as you get way better adjustments for height. The stupid Direct mount are all stupid and go in weird angles depending on the height you want. I'm Strongly considering putting rings on the 2016 Hard tail. I do however like the Ringless look as it looks killer on that guitar but I feel I could tune it a bit better with Pickup height and getting th pickups more level.

Comment

Working...
            X