Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion Custom or 475?

Hi All,

my first time posting here. I am a long time collector of Charvels and Carvins from the 80-90s.

I want a new guitar day soon , so I'm deciding between two guitars:

1 - 1990 Charvel Fusion Custom in desert crackle paint, excellent paint and overall condition, besides electronic rework to be done and a couple of bridge saddles to be changed (about 50$ fix).
    2 - 1990 Charvel 475 Deluxe-Exotic (I think "-Exotic", as it's a flame top and the charateristics seem to match). This one is in overall very good condition, no work to be done, really perfect.

Given the exact same price for both, any opinion on which one to choose? Is the fusion custom such a better guitar to be worth the fixes?

Thanks for any opinion!
    Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

Comment

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Both are nice and on par with each other, but the Fusion will have a shorter 24.75" scale length like a Les Paul (plus it's got 24 frets). The 475 has 22 frets with typical 25.5" Strat scale length. I guess it's up to whatever you prefer more.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks like trem and knobs swapped on the 475. Hardware was black on those originally.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Welcome to the forum. Both are nice and on par with each other, but the Fusion will have a shorter 24.75" scale length like a Les Paul (plus it's got 24 frets). The 475 has 22 frets with typical 25.5" Strat scale length. I guess it's up to whatever you prefer more.

Thanks, this is really helpful information. I suppose I would need to get a discount on the fusion to make the choice, as they are valued the same but that needs fixes.

Comment

Nice info, thank you very much. I requested some details about this (mostly the tremolo) to understand what has been going on with this. I'll keep you updated

Comment

If both are the same price, the Fusion would be more because of the $50 in repairs after the purchase.

Also, sharkies over dots FTW. The binding is a nice touch too.

Comment

looks like the 475 has had hardware and pickup changes(probably no longer has the mid boost preamp) the humbucker pickup ring looks to small on the 475 also. I would still value them about the same. I have 4 475 models and 2 fusion models, I myself prefer the larger scale of the 475 but the fusion is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                    looks like the 475 has had hardware and pickup changes(probably no longer has the mid boost preamp) the humbucker pickup ring looks to small on the 475 also. I would still value them about the same. I have 4 475 models and 2 fusion models, I myself prefer the larger scale of the 475 but the fusion is fun.
                    Thanks. The bridge pickup was switched to a Seymour Duncan and the bridge is a Schaller, not stock but looks like it's a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      If both are the same price, the Fusion would be more because of the $50 in repairs after the purchase.
                      Especially with those saddles, I'd be very wary of that schaller not needing total replacement
                      they are getting old
                      Last edited by Nightbat; 07-02-2016, 10:43 AM.
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                        Especially with those saddles, I'd be very wary of that schaller not needing total replacement
                        they are getting old
                        I chose the 475, because of all these reasons, and I sent the seller my offer. I'll let you know as soon as he responds...

Comment

Originally posted by G37-R34DY View Post
                          I chose the 475, because of all these reasons, and I sent the seller my offer. I'll let you know as soon as he responds...

Damn, this model 4 showed up, same price as the 475. Might as well take both. .

Comment

All look great. I would certainly go for the 475 and the model 4!

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
                              All look great. I would certainly go for the 475 and the model 4!

both are coming home! I'll post comments and pics next week

Comment

Working...
                              X