NGD - MIJ Charvel San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - MIJ Charvel San Dimas

I picked up a 2010 MIJ San Dimas from a buddy on another forum and figured it was worth sharing in here. It came equipped with a EVH speed pot and a Tremol-no. I love the rolled fingerboard edges and direct-mounted pickups on these pro mods from Japan. The only thing I've done to it is remove the Tremol-no and swap out the stock FR (ping?) for a OFR with a big brass block.

EDIT: Sorry, this belongs in the Charvel section!

Can't go wrong with black! Grats!
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Practically perfect guitar for me. Black, maple board, non-recessed OFR, no tone control, Made by Chushin Gakki. Direct mount pickups also look nice and clean. I need to track me down a worthwhile Japanese or USA Pro-Mod like this!

Comment

Nice guitar, congrats.

No, it's not a ping. It's a MIK version of the original Floyd. IMHO it's a near-equal to the MIG original Floyd Rose, the differences are minor at best. No need to replace it, it's a very good quality unit.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Nice guitar, congrats.

No, it's not a ping. It's a MIK version of the original Floyd. IMHO it's a near-equal to the MIG original Floyd Rose, the differences are minor at best. No need to replace it, it's a very good quality unit.
          Thanks. The stock FR held tune just fine but the feel was just 'off'; the stock fine tuners were very hard to turn and the locking nut screws seemed just like the licensed ones (i.e. the threads 'felt' like they were going to strip out if you went anywhere beyond snugging them). The threads probably could have just needed a cleaning and dab of lube but I had the OFR already.

Comment

That's a really nice guitar. I used to have one, in blue. How do you like the JB? And what's the speed knob about?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Crude View Post
              That's a really nice guitar. I used to have one, in blue. How do you like the JB? And what's the speed knob about?
              Oh man, I love the JB! I was a Duncan Distortion fan forever and was late to the game in trying the JB (came stock in my RR1), now its my favorite bridge pickup. It's slightly brighter in the San Dimas and in my old strat that in the RR1 but you really can't beat it for going after those 80's metal tones.

The speed knob is just a low resistance (not ohm value but how much effort it takes to turn it) knob...its kind of nice if you do volume swells but its either on or off with me so I could take or leave it.

Comment

Cool...the JB was THE pup in the 80s. Good tones. I take it that San Dimas has an alder body.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Crude View Post
                  Cool...the JB was THE pup in the 80s. Good tones. I take it that San Dimas has an alder body.
                  Yeah, my red MIJ Dimas is alder, good guess, lol

Comment

Originally posted by samiam View Post
                    I picked up a 2010 MIJ San Dimas from a buddy on another forum and figured it was worth sharing in here. It came equipped with a EVH speed pot and a Tremol-no. I love the rolled fingerboard edges and direct-mounted pickups on these pro mods from Japan. The only thing I've done to it is remove the Tremol-no and swap out the stock FR (ping?) for a OFR with a big brass block.

EDIT: Sorry, this belongs in the Charvel section!
                    Congrats, that Dimas of yours is killer!!!

Comment

Sweet
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X