Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with the Charvel Model 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with the Charvel Model 2?

Hi, I have found a Charvel Model 2 for sale online which I am considering buying. It is not possible for me to test the guitar before i buy it, so I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this guitar. How is the build quality? Neck shape? Sound etc?

I have no experience with Charvel, but own and have owned quite a few US Jacksons. How do the Model 2 (or other import Charvels) compare to a US made Jackson?

I love all of the model series guitars. The necks being my favorite part, nice and thin and fast. I usually only buy 1987 and 1988 models with the JT6, so that I can immediately swap them for a Floyd . I always replace the pickups, but that is subjective. The only one that I wouldn't change the pickups, would be a model 4 or 6. Love them. The build quality is very high being a Japanese build.

Comment

I have two 1986 Charvel Model 2's that I have owned for over 20 years. These are the guitars I have had the longest and would never sell them. They don't compare to my CS Soloist but they are damn fine instruments.

Comment

https://youtu.be/khhdyJEvF_U

Comment

if the guitar is clearly in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate. I own a few and have found the Model series to be consistently good. My Model 2 is a great guitar
          Hail yesterday

Comment

The necks are probably thinner than you're used to, but they're really freaking nice, handshaped profiles. Every bit as nice as a USA Bolt on from the same era except no ebony, really. Build quality was basically identical, just lacking USA features like ebony boards and sharkies or real MOP. Great stuff!
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't think you will find any Model 2 haters here, I love everything about them, except maybe the behind the nut string lock.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

As others have already said, they're great guitars with comfortable necks. I have an 87 model 2 in electric blue that I've had for 15 years or so. The 87 and 88 models have the JT6 trem where as the 86 model has a Kahler style bridge. I'm sure someone else here will chime in as to the details of that bridge. FYI on the necks, they have a gloss finish on them from the factory. So if you are used to an oiled neck, it might not feel as smooth to you but they are still nice and comfortable to play.

Comment

I sold all my USA made Jacksons and kept my two Model 2's if that tells you anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
                      FYI on the necks, they have a gloss finish on them from the factory. So if you are used to an oiled neck, it might not feel as smooth to you but they are still nice and comfortable to play.
                      that's easily addressed too. I hit the neck on my Model 4 with a kitchen scour pad just to knock the shine off a little. The guitar is pretty knocked around so it was a low risk experiment. Worked a treat. It has a smooth matte finish now. And if I ever want to go back to a glossy finish, just need to give it a polish
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by contilon View Post
                        I usually only buy 1987 and 1988 models with the JT6,
                        I just turned down a Model 2 trade because it was an 86 with Kahler 2500.

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
                        FYI on the necks, they have a gloss finish on them from the factory.
                        That's my complaint on a lot of the Jackson imports. It really makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X