Thoughts on the Pro Mod SD1 HH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Pro Mod SD1 HH

Snagged a MIM Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas 1 HH today. The previous owner had replaced the SD TB-4 and '59 with SD Blackouts. Surprisingly, they didn't sound horrific in the SD1. Not so good that I'm gonna keep 'em in there but not a train wreck either. The neck is pretty darn beefy compared to the USA and MIJ ones I've owned, but has the customary comfy oiled finish. Frets are better dressed than the MIM Jackson DK2M I had months ago. The FR Special trem is passable but lacks the finesse of a true OFR. The addition of the recess under the FR is a big plus IMO but purists may find it sacrilegious. My biggest gripe is the upper fret access/heel profile. The heel is blocky and cumbersome. This is NOT an ax for 14- 22 fret shredding. LOL Not sure if this a keeper.

I've been seeing lots of US Production models going for really low prices prices lately. Less than MIM Pro Mods as a matter of fact.

I just can't stomach owning a Charvel that wasn't made in the US even though logically I know they're good, solid guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      I've been seeing lots of US Production models going for really low prices prices lately. Less than MIM Pro Mods as a matter of fact.

I just can't stomach owning a Charvel that wasn't made in the US even though logically I know they're good, solid guitars.
      More or less in the same boat re: import vs. USA. Two things pushed me to ignore that prejudice- the addition of the Floyd recess/pull up rout and the price. 7 bills even for a like-new pro mod w/ pro set up and extra p'up (seller upgraded to the Blackouts but threw in a JB to sweeten the deal) and a gig bag. Honestly, if it weren't for the fucking chunky heel, this would be a keeper. Heard one person say that the block-y heels are typical of Strats and this is true but when I go from playing my bolt on CS Star or one of my Hamer USA Cali's to the SD 1 HH, it's like losing the upper quarter of the neck.

Comment

Did the previous owner replace tremolo too? MIM Pro Mod Charvels should have a FRT, not a FR Special i think.
        My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
          Did the previous owner replace tremolo too? MIM Pro Mod Charvels should have a FRT, not a FR Special i think.
          According to Charvel's website: Bridge: Floyd Rose® Special Double-Locking Tremolo (Recessed)

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            According to Charvel's website: Bridge: Floyd Rose® Special Double-Locking Tremolo (Recessed)
            Overview says: recessed Floyd Rose® Original double-locking tremolo
            Specs say:Floyd Rose® Special Double-Locking Tremolo (Recessed)

Same error with every Pro Mod.

Anyway, it looks like FRT, no ´Special´ under ´Floyd Rose´ text. My silver sparkle MIM So Cal has FRT-1000.
            --
            And yes, the heel is really blocky. If my So Cal hasn´t got sparkle finish I would get a asymmetric neck plate and shave the corner..
            Last edited by Zedder; 11-26-2015, 01:23 PM.
            My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

It's the MIK Original Floyd, not the Special. The website spec is an error. Look at the SoCals, they have the correct specs listed there.

Comment

Upon further inspection of my SD1, it would appear it IS a FRT-1000. I guess that explains why it still holds tune when I dump the bar but can't flutter for shit.

Comment

Floyd Rose Special say "Special" on the trem under the Floyd name.
                  \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I like the old Jap Model series the best, myself. Except for the Jackson bridge and pups.

Comment

Upon further inspection of my SD1, it would appear it IS a FRT-1000. I guess that explains why it still holds tune when I dump the bar but can't flutter for shit.
                      If you can't do flutters, then take out a spring.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The neck is pretty darn beefy compared to the USA and MIJ ones I've owned, but has the customary comfy oiled finish.
                        it's not the same shape as the USA pro-mods?

Comment

Originally posted by Gigi View Post
                          it's not the same shape as the USA pro-mods?
                          Not by my recollection. This one was beefier than the USA and MIJ Pro Mods I've played.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            If you can't do flutters, then take out a spring.
                            Oh that happened right quick- most guitars that land on my doorstep go thru the same set up- lower tuning to D#, take out a trem spring, adjust springs to get baseplate parallel to body surface (unless neck angle warrants otherwise) intonate, adjust p'up height if needed, etc. The flutter on that SD1 HH's Floyd just wasn't all that pronounced. That's been pretty much my experience on all 1000 Series Floyds. YMMV

Comment

The Pro Mod's do not come with Special Floyd's they all come with FRT models. From 2013 and on.

Comment

Working...
                              X