Charvel model 1 project ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model 1 project ideas

So I’ve been keeping an eye on Craig’s List looking for a used Kelly, like a KE3 or XLR, and this Charvel model 1 pops up for sale the other day. The seller tells me he picked up a bunch of low end guitars from a guy who was selling his entire collection, most of which were in pretty rough shape. I ended up getting this model 1 for $90. All the parts were there and overall it’s in decent shape but needs some TLC. The body, in addition to the ugly remains of a sticker, has a few small dings and scratches while the neck has some funky dark wear marks through the lacquer finish. The worst part is the fingerboard is separating from the neck on both sides at the first fret.

So my plan is to send it to GMW to fix the neck and strip off the lacquer finish, making it an oiled neck. I’m not a fan of black guitars so I’ll also have the body refinished but I’m still undecided what to do with it. Here’s a few possibilities:

Option 1: Refinish it with a standard solid color, like Ferrari red. I already have a white model 1 and figured someday I would pick up a red one. Here’s my chance to have a mint one.

Options 2: Refinish it with a modern solid color, something like robin’s egg blue with a pearl top coat or maybe a flip flop green to purple HOK color.

Option 3: GMW has been doing some cool production graphics. So I was thinking a traditional Eldred HRF with either a blue or candy red base color. Figured a HRF graphic would be perfect with a single hum body, maple neck and pointy headstock.

Option 4: One of the other production graphics that GMW has been releasing like a Navy camo or copperhead snakeskin. I love cool graphics so this is a great chance to try one of these out.

Any other suggestions while I’m at it? Let me know if you have any ideas on what I should do with it. Thanks.
    Standard solid color
    12.50%
    Modren solid color
    12.50%
    Graphic: Eldred HRF in blue or red
    37.50%
    Graphic: Camo, snaksekin, other
    37.50%

I'm a big fan of graphics. How about a Sub Camo, a Crossed Swords, or a Tri-Ryche?

Oh yeah, you already have all of those, you bastard

But seriously, I love the graphics. It's what drew me to J/C guitars in the first place. Single colors are for Fenders, and fancy woods for Gibsons.

Comment

Hot Rod Flames was my vote, but the fighter plane graphic is tits too!

Comment

You have a Tri-Ryche Jackson?! Awesome. I vote HRF.

Comment

HOK meaning?
          Haha tough decision though. Copperhead snakeskin, HRF (though I'm not an HRF guy myself) and Ferrari Red would be cool either one. Can't really help ya other than confirming that your ideas are cool, but I'll vote HRF.
          I did also remove the lacquer from my Model 4 neck and oiled it and that neck rules.
          Last edited by algeriet; 07-23-2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
            HOK meaning?
            HOK = House of Kolor. They have some awesome colors, from solids to pearls to shimrins. Check out their site when you have some time.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha...es_shimrin.jsp

Comment

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
              You have a Tri-Ryche Jackson?! Awesome. I vote HRF.
              Yes, I have an SL1 that I had GMW do refin on about 10 years ago. Dan Lawrence did the graphic work and it turned out awesome. There's a thread on it somewhere here but this is one of the pics.

Comment

Working...
              X