• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIJ So Cal Pro Mod Maple Jeopardy Game

so here's the answer I got direct from Charvel (Fender):

Kevin Castaneda (Fender)
    Jun 11, 08:14 Hello Paul,

You'll want to use either water or guitar polish on a cloth. You
    won't have to use Lemon Oil as that is used with Rosewood Fingerboards.

What is the question that I asked the Charvel consumer relations product support email address?????

that's right folks! You got it! - I asked them the age old conundrum of how to clean and care for my quarter sawn unfinished maple neck!

here's the gist of what I emailed them:

Dear Charvel,

I've been enjoying my Charvel So Cal Pro Mod (s/n JC11*******) for the last year now, and, having put in a considerable number of hours practising and gigging with it - it's inevitably time for a little TLC and aesthetic maintenance on the fretboard.

I am wanting to remove the build up of dirt and grime accumulating in the grain of the maple, and to condition and protect the natural wood for the foreseeable future.

Please could you advise of any Charvel "official methods of best practise" to clean and maintain my fretboard including any suggested products/materials that you would condone using - or even just "what not to use".

Apologies if I am one of a thousand people asking the same question over and over...but I love your product (my guitar) and I just want to look after it so it gives me many more years of enjoyment.

Thanks in advance of any response/help/advice.

================================================== ==========

so a few days later, I'm posting on here and hoping you Charvel type guys an gals can throw me a few bones and let me know what you have done and what products you may have used (I'm based in UK) to restore your unfinished (or is it oiled?) maple necks to their original glory as I don't think that just water is going to do it. I'm not sure about using guitar polish (usually for paintwork?) as suggested on an unfinished/oiled neck as I've heard bad things about the silicones used in such products.

I don't want to schit all over the advice given by the manufacturer but I was expecting more of an answer?

In my mind I was thinking (after researching many many hours) about using a high grade lemon oil to clean (as advised by Music Man on their unfinished maple Axis guitar necks) and using a Danish oil to condition and protect - but how wrong am I on this?

thanks for reading. thanks for responding (you know who you are!)
    Last edited by paulphoenix; 06-12-2015, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I use the few drops of water on a soft cloth method on my 2010 USA Green Slime. Works fine, no problems. Just careful not to overdo it with the water.
      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I got something different when asking the same question:

"These necks are typically finished with oil to seal the wood from moisture as we really cannot have this totally without finish but this application gives that feel.
        If your neck is really dirty then Naptha could be a good product to use as this is a product used often to clean dirt and oil from surfaces before finish application and in between coats. However this is a hazardous material and should be treated as such much like any solvent would. You would want to apply a small amount to a rag and apply like you would a typical cleaning product.

Another product I have used with great results is Dr. Ducks Axe Wax, http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/ddaxwax.html, as this can be used on all types of materials involved with the guitar including hardware and plastic parts with ease.

The best option is just to keep up on cleaning it with a dry cloth after each use to prevent build up at all and that way you should really never have to do much of any type of deep cleaning.
        "

So I replied specifically with:
        "Will naptha remove the dirt/staining from within the wood itself, or just from the surface?"

and got back

"It could but it’s hard to say without knowing the extent of the issue first hand. If that doesn’t get it all then you could try high grit sand paper but you will want to be cautious when removing material.

Only finish would seal this to prevent this type of situation. You may want to look into Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil for gun stocks as this is the same type of material originally used and it can ware over time and need another application. It’s relatively easy to use and you could do it yourself if you have the space available to do some work like that."

Comment

Working...
        X