Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every one happy with the Top Mount FR on the MIJ san dimas & so cal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every one happy with the Top Mount FR on the MIJ san dimas & so cal ?

Every one happy with the Top Mount FR on the MIJ san dimas & so cal ?
    Any tuning problems with the top mount ?

I guess this is a Recessed vs Top mount thread & not really towards the quality of the Bridge itself .

I'm still undecided on which Charvel to buy but I find a top mount bridge a little higher & more comfortable to play more like a strat .

I have a Frankenstein style strat that I've recessed the Floyd & deepened the neck pocket .I didn't really stay in tune until I did the recess but it never sat really parallel with the body .
    what do you think ?

Just dropped the Floyd on my SDX to rest on the body (it still had some pull up before I did so, don't know if the same is true for the charvels)
    Tuning is solid as a rock, though I did tighten the spring claw a little (when the temperature went down a few degrees, strings shrank to the point they 'just' lifted the bridge off the body)

That your Frankenstein did not hold tuning sounds more like a faulty bridge or setup, because I can't for the life imagine tuning problems getting better making it a full floating bridge

Also keep in mind only the USA and early MIJ Pro Mods had a top mounted Floyd, everything later and the MIMs with the exception of the current MIM Super Stock Charvels are recessed
    Last edited by Nightbat; 05-23-2015, 07:17 PM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I love both but prefer top mount for the retro look.

I have a top mount and recessed MIJ and both hold tune great. The issue is not there.

Comment

I like my bridge low and don't care about pulling up so I'll take either.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          I'm still undecided on which Charvel to buy but I find a top mount bridge a little higher & more comfortable to play more like a strat .
          That doesn't make much sense, because a Strat has a straighter neck, much like what would be on a guitar with a recessed Floyd. A top-mounted Floyd would have more of a tilt back to the neck to have the Floyd higher off the body, like a Les Paul with its tune-o-matic bridge.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I prefer top mount. It adds a bit of neck angle like a TOM and gives me a little more room underneath to dig in on the strings.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Visually I prefer top mount / non recessed. Playing wise I prefer being able to pull up rather than just push down so I prefer floating over decked/blocked.

Of my three current Floyds they are all non recessed with some float - but all have different amounts of pull up. For instance my Adrian Smith has very little pull. Of my two Charvels one has moderate pull and the other has a huge amount. This is all due to differences in the neck pocket.

I'm building a project with a recessed Floyd. Of all my guitars I've only owned 3 in 25 years with a recessed Floyd - my first Strat I ever bought, an ibanez 770 and a Jackson Fusion.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I have both and have no tuning troubles, but the quality of those floyds suck compared to the older or U.S.A. models!! my biggest complaint if the fit of the bar into the collar, I like my bar to swing but be snug, these new ones wobble to the point that they make noise unless you tighten it really tight were it doesn't swivel

Comment

I've found... it doesn't really matter. I used to be top mount, but my #1 is a recessed... so go figure.

There is no difference in tuning stability between the two. They operate identically. The neck is set at a different angle, all other things are for the most part, identical...
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I set up my non-recessed trem strats for 1+1/2 steps of pull-up range on the B string with 10 gauge strings. This works out to be a bit less on the high E and a bit more on the G. At that point, the strings usually hit the lock blocks before the trem hits the body, so a route won't buy you any more range. I'd say on a factory USA Jackson bolty I have to shim the neck less than half the time to meet this spec. I also set the bridge parallel with the strings and not the body which helps slightly (and improves flutter). Don't buy in to the recessed pull-up range hype!

Comment

Working...
                    X