No announcement yet.

the new Charvels MIM vs MIJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These floyds are Korean originals. Same specs as the German made ones but are cheaper to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      These floyds are Korean originals. Same specs as the German made ones but are cheaper to make.
      Good to know thanks.

Comment

Haven't played a MIM Charvel, but I've played enough Fenders to know that MIM quality is fairly nice and very consistent. They've been making strats for a good while now. It's something they know. lol I'd imagine they're nicer than the MIC stuff.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Regarding the 1000-series OFR on the MIJ models, it's not a bad bridge at all. Tuning stability is great, and the action feels smooth.

When I replaced mine with the German model, I was pretty impressed that they weighed almost the same (was expecting the 1000 to be lighter).

The differences I've noticed are hard to summarize, but are generally an overall increase in "solidness" that contributes to a nice firm and deliberate feel. The German bridge is a bit more sensitive to touch - it's easier to control the subtle moves. Also, my stock bridge "fluttered" very poorly - it would kind of klunk back up, where the German bridge is fluid and has that nice musical springy effect.

Additionally, when I removed the old bridge (which was about 1 year old), I noticed some small chips forming around the knife edge. I'm betting the German model does not develop this issue so quickly (or at all, hopefully).

Comment

My problem with the Korean Floyds is how cheap the fine tuners feel. Just hard to turn and sharp feeling - not smooth like the German versions.
            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
            '98 PRS Custom 22
            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
              My problem with the Korean Floyds is how cheap the fine tuners feel. Just hard to turn and sharp feeling - not smooth like the German versions.
              That, and the bar has a tendency to loosen even when not being used. (At least on mine.)

I love my MiM Charvel. I would rate it's quality right along side my Model 5. Even though I prefer a regular OFR to the Korean ones, it's still vastly better in material quality than the JT-6 that was on the model 5. My MiM is one of the limited Super Stock Sunset Orange Sparkle run though. I've tried other regular series at the music store and they don't seem quite as nice as mine. The difference is very minor, so I don't know if the special series got a little more loving or I just lucked out and got a happy accident.
              Last edited by Hellbat; 06-05-2015, 09:12 PM.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I don't know if the special series got a little more loving or I just lucked out and got a happy accident.
                I bet a little of both! Even today, there is the hand made human component that makes all of them slightly different. Some could be awesome, some not so!
                '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                '98 PRS Custom 22
                '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I prefer the MIJ over the few MIM ones's I've played so far.
                  AnyK's white one used to be mine , the neck on that is killer, a very easy to play guitar. My Current
                  SoCal is the same , just a killer neck, very easy to play an sounds great. the few MIM ones I've played didn't feel quite as good.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

anyone that have seen it live, can tell me if the new color specific ocean is a solid or metallic color?
                    i dont get it exactly since it seems green or light blue based on the light it's under...

Comment

I have not had the opportunity to check out a MIM yet. USA and MIJ, yes. All the wildcards and others were great.

Really looking at a DK2HT, but not crazy about close to $900 for a MIM guitar. I would do MIM before China/Indo. I can tell you that after snatching a couple ESP's cheap, both a 327 and 1000 ltd deluxe, I would not pay anywhere close to $900 for a China made guitar.

Funny how it all started USA/JA, then US/MIM, then US/MIJ/MIK/MIC/Indo, next, who knows??? Russia maybe?
                      Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I personally favor the MIM models. I like the recessed Floyd's and I love SD's over Dimarizo.

Comment

Working...
                        X