Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 to Original Floyd Rose conversion

Hello,

I have a model 5fx that i'm trying to convert to OFR.

I know the bridge is drop in but do i need to swap out the posts?

Also I know i need a brass block but I can't remember the size.

any and all help would be appreciated.

thank you!

You don't NEED to swap out the post unless you are doing wild whammy stuff. Check fretsonthenet.com for replacement post that have a wide V notch to allow more room to wiggle.

42mm is what I'd use in a top mounted Floyd.

Comment

OFR on my SL2 was brass, looked a silver colour but turned out to be brass underneath.
      7 Charvels and a load of other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefgroover View Post
        OFR on my SL2 was brass, looked a silver colour but turned out to be brass underneath.
        Yes, it is tin plated brass, and on your SL2 it was likely 32mm because it was a recessed Floyd.

Comment

Anyone notice that the JT6 lines the outer strings differently than the Floyds? When you install a Floyd, the fat E string is just over the edge of each of the frets and the thin e is 5 or 6mm away from the fret edges

Comment

Originally posted by darrenw5094 View Post
            Anyone notice that the JT6 lines the outer strings differently than the Floyds? When you install a Floyd, the fat E string is just over the edge of each of the frets and the thin e is 5 or 6mm away from the fret edges
            Yes, JT6 is standard spacing and not Fender/Floyd spacing.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Yes, JT6 is standard spacing and not Fender/Floyd spacing.
              Yes, but the fat E string is very close to the fret edge and the skinny e is about 5mm away from the oposite fret edges.
              Looks way off and obviously affects the playability.

Comment

My OFR lines up perfectly on my Model 6. The spacing is wider than the JT-6, but the E strings are both well within the binding all the way down the neck. Is your guitar a bolt-on or neckthrough, darren5094? If it's a bolt-on, it may just be a simple matter of tweaking the neck alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  My OFR lines up perfectly on my Model 6. The spacing is wider than the JT-6, but the E strings are both well within the binding all the way down the neck. Is your guitar a bolt-on or neckthrough, darren5094? If it's a bolt-on, it may just be a simple matter of tweaking the neck alignment.
                  He's converting a 5FX (neck thru). It should line up. I converted a 5A and it worked perfectly.
                  It's possible the trem studs are "off" just a bit. Not an issue if you're using a JT-6, but can be an issue for an OFR install.
                  -Rick

Comment

The OP is, Rick. I had to check twice myself to make sure it was a different guy. I'm going to be surprised if Darren's is a neckthrough. Seems like there have been way more trem post alignment problems on newer stuff than on the old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      The OP is, Rick. I had to check twice myself to make sure it was a different guy. I'm going to be surprised if Darren's is a neckthrough. Seems like there have been way more trem post alignment problems on newer stuff than on the old ones.
                      Ahh yes.... Too early in the day for me.
                      -Rick

Comment

I have also a 5fx. The JT6 was replaced by a Floyd leaving the old post, works very well. The block is 42 mms.

Comment

I've replaced JT-6 on my M4 with Gotoh GE1996T. It works well too.

Comment

I've swapped out the JT-6 with a Floyd sporting 42mm titanium then refretted with stainless. With a new nutt and SD RTM it simply rocks! The strings line up just fine and plays like a dream.

Comment

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm Hope this is helpful.
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                              X