Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 USA or So Cal Japan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 USA or So Cal Japan?

I have the chance to get one of these:

- Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 USA, used (but seller says it's like new), without hard-case - Black
    - Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Japan, new, with hard-case - Snow White (with the black pickguard)

The used (but like new) USA San Dimas costs more 50 Euros than the new So Cal (without the hard-case), but I'm partially more attracted to the So Cal look and I've already have 2 guitars with Seymour Duncans, so the So Cal DiMarzio's would be good for a change. Of course I could change the San Dimas SD's, but that would cost me more...

My questions:

- do you think a USA Charvel for more 50 Euros would the way to go over a new Japanese So Cal, even though I like the looks of the So Cal better (not that i dislike the San Dimas, but i like more classic strat look of the So Cal)? The San Dimas is just a simple "no fancy things" guitar, but it's a USA one...

- is a Charvel San Dimas USA a massive improvement in quality (craftmanship, finish, frets, details, etc) over a Japanese So Cal?

Share with me your thoughts

PS: i can't try any of these are i will buy one of them online...
    Last edited by mnit1965; 06-02-2014, 06:46 AM.

Both guitars are great quality but personally I'd always go for the US made Charvel because I have a bias towards US made Charvels. To put it another way, I'd never own an import Charvel even though I know that the Japanese made ones, both the Models series and Pro Mods, are great quality guitars.

Comment

General consensus is the Jap neck is amazing compared to the US. Plus the fact that the US models didn't come with cases is kinda bullshit. I'd go Jap all day long.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

The So Cal is awesome, I'd go that way. but so is the San Dimas so I would go that way, screw it get both. You only live once man.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
          The So Cal is awesome, I'd go that way. but so is the San Dimas so I would go that way, screw it get both. You only live once man.
          I wish i could afford both!!!

Comment

Thanks all! I guess MIJ is the way to go then

One more question;

Everyone seems to rave about the MIJ So Cal neck ("fabulous").

Does the MIJ San Dimas has the same neck or is it a different animal?

Comment

I believe they are the same necks. I bought one a couple of years ok to stick on a dinky body. Very nice neck. I think they are a little yellower in colour compared to the USA ones too

Comment

I've got both a San Dimas and a SoCal MIJ (serial numbers are within a few hundred of each other). The necks on both are fantastic, but not identical...
                The edges of the fretboard on the SoCal are definitely more 'rolled' than on the San Dimas. It's quite noticeable between them.

Whether this is a SD/SC thing or just variation between different guitars, I can't say. These are the only MIJ Charvels I've played.

As I say, both are great necks - really you can't go wrong with them.

Cheers,
                ian

Comment

If and only if the Japanese So-Cal was a non-recessed Floyd, I'd go with that, but seeing as the one you are describing is new....well I'd be more inclined to go with the USA San Dimas. Strictly because I just prefer non-recesssed Floyds WAY more than recessed (which is the Japanese So-Cal's only downfall).
                  I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I thought I preferred recessed over non but I was wrong, both are fine by me. I don't notice the difference at all.

Comment

:idea:
                      Last edited by Chiefgroover; 07-25-2014, 04:20 AM.
                      7 Charvels and a load of other stuff.

Comment

Brilliant answer Mantis
                        7 Charvels and a load of other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X