2nd Charvel Acquired - Pawn Shop Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Charvel Acquired - Pawn Shop Score

Today I purchased what I believe is a Charvel Desolation DS-1 ST. It needs a little cosmetic work as the previous owner glued a metal skull to the face (below the bridge) but otherwise its in great shape.

After changing the battery and tuning it up it sounded fantastic. I'm guessing the Seymour Duncan p/u's are pretty high output but I find that so far I prefer the softer tone of the neck pick-up.

Last edited by Lightstorm; 08-16-2012, 06:15 AM.

Nice, Ive got the ds2 in the same color. Its ok.

Comment

Had a DS-1 in the same color real nice guitar.
      Neck was a hair too narrow for me but its a well made guitar and the Black out Duncans were very good.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Your finding these in pawn shops? I can't even see one in person at the Orlando Guitar Centers. WTH!? Haven't been to the Sam Ash places in about 9 months, but maybe I should check into these. Seems like a great guitar for the price. Enjoy Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
          Seems like a great guitar for the price. Enjoy Sir!
          I would have to agree. They're pretty decent. You need to put a bit of time into finishing the necks up a little... they're really rough. After sanding my neck to US Jackson standards... it feels like $1000.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Your finding these in pawn shops? I can't even see one in person at the Orlando Guitar Centers. WTH!? Haven't been to the Sam Ash places in about 9 months, but maybe I should check into these. Seems like a great guitar for the price. Enjoy Sir!
            The Houston area (where I live) has a lot of pawn shops most of which routinely have guitars for sale. The most popular of course are the really inexpensive ones but you can also find pretty nice instruments too, if you're willing to look around a little. Other guitars I acquired via pawn shops include a cheap Kramer ($54), two Fender Strats (one Mexico @ $225, one USA with Floyd Rose trem @ $190), Charvel Fusion ($150), Squire II Strat ($100) and Ibanez RG570 ($150). Of these other guitars several were in need of substantial repair or at least a little love and cleaning, but that's why I bought them in the first place. I like to try to refinish guitars and on a cheap one if I make a serious mistake I'm not out too much money.

Comment

I patrol all the pawn shops in about a 75 radius and haven't found anything that nice. I have scored many from shops but not this new or nice.

Comment

I patrol all the pawn shops in about a 75 radius and haven't found anything that nice. I have scored many from shops but not this new or nice.
                I admit finding something as nice as this Desolation is a bit unusual, but not completely unheard of here in Houston. About two years ago I came across an Ibanez 7-string with the back of the headstock autographed by Steve Vai. The pawn shop guy had no idea what he had but the guitar wasn't in very good shape and they still wanted $1000 so I let it go.

PRS SE guitars are relatively common and certain stores seem to specialize in higher end instruments. My only advice is to be patient and keep looking. Of course it probably helps that between the Houston and Galveston metro areas there are close to 6 million people here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightstorm View Post
                  I'm guessing the Seymour Duncan p/u's are pretty high output but I find that so far I prefer the softer tone of the neck pick-up.
                  They are quite hot, but unlike passives I find their tonal character doesn't change much when turned down so you can roll off the volume pretty far without losing much tone. You could also try swapping the neck and bridge. People do that all the time with EMG's and I think some Blackouts users have voiced a preference for that setup as well.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Been trying to capture the beauty of this thing since I bought it. What a gorgeous work of art especially with the mother-of-pearl inlays.
                    Last edited by Lightstorm; 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Those aren't pillows!

Er, I mean, those aren't mother of pearl!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What are the inlays made from then? Inquiring minds want to know...

Comment

It's supposed to be abalone, but not sure if real. I haven't taken a heated pin to poke test it and I don't plan to.

And I like the inlays on my DX1. I want to hate it, but the guitar rips...
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X