Need trade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need trade advice

Hey guys, I've got an opportunity to make a trade, and wanted some expert input. I currently have a very clean and 100% original Jackson DK2M in snow white. I really like this guitar. I've been offered a straight trade for a 1987 Charvel Model 1, which is also extremely clean. The Model 1 has had the pickup changed to a Dimarzio Tone Zone, and has also had a coil split toggle added below the volume knob. The modifications appear to be done professionally, and everything looks/works great. This Model 1 is black. The neck finish has aged beautifully, and the body paint shines like new. There is almost no fretware. The trem, and everything else is original. This Model 1 looks like a closet queen, and plays really well. Does this seem like a fair trade? I consider my DK2M to be worth $400 easily. Is a clean Model 1 with an upgraded pickup worth that much? For any of you that have played both, would you make this trade? I'm not a big dive-bomber, so loosing the locking trem doesn't bother me. But I'm not sure about going from 2 humbuckers to only 1? I do use the neck pickup quite a bit on the DK2M. I am however, more comfortable with the full size Strat body of the Model 1 than I am the 7/8 Dinky body on the DK2M. I really prefer the classic look and feel of the Model 1. Am I giving up too much to make this trade? Thanks for any advice you might offer.

On paper it might seem as though the dk2m is worth more. But trades can be funny like that. If you really like the model 1 and can live with 22 frets, no trem, no neck pickup then Id say go for it if you really prefer the feel of it. If those things will keep you from playing it and it will just sit then dont do it. I too prefer full sized strat bodies over dinkies. Does he have the original pickup as well? A j90c is a good thing to have around.

Comment

I'd say M1 + $100 cash for your DK2M if they're both in similar condition. I personally don't like v-trems, so personally, I wouldn't do the trade. If you like the controls of the guitar and can live with it, fine.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I would do the trade if you get some cash and the J90-C like Xeno says, that seems fair to me. Both have original cases?
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I decided to keep my DK2M. Was playing it last night, and it really is a killer guitar.

Comment

Smart move. Model 1's are nice, but the vtrem...

Comment

Several great points. Also, the DK2M has jumbo frets, a compound radius fretboard and those ultra-cool looking sharky inlays.
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                Several great points. Also, the DK2M has jumbo frets, a compound radius fretboard and those ultra-cool looking sharky inlays.
                Hmmm...pretty sure the M1 should have jumbo frets and a compound radius. But you at still batting .333 which would be awesome in the major league

Comment

Working...
                X