Model 6 Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Find

I just bought this Model 6. What is up with the non-logo pickups? Stock?

yes stock early ones don't have logos

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      yes stock early ones don't have logos
      +1.

And you know it's an early Model 6 because the Kahler was only used the first year, 1986.

Comment

Very nice! Was that one on eBay? I've been tempted by a few '86s lately. I've got a spare Kahler Hybrid trem sitting around waiting for a guitar to match.

Comment

It showed up on EBay last night with a very low "Buy It Now" price. I had to jump on it. It couldn't have been up for more than an hour or two. It still has some of the case candy.

Comment

Good find. I probably confused that with a metallic blue '86 Model 5 that was relisted a few times. Those '86s are usually just as good as any Jackson Soloist that has a Kahler. Even the '87s and '88s are great if you ditch the JT-6 for an OFR.

Comment

I prefer the Kahler, although I have a couple with JT6's on them. I also have a custom ordered Jackson soloist, pink/black snakeskin, with a Kahler that I custom orderd in 1987/88. Reverse headstock. It rarely get's played. I've been babying it for years. It has the JE 1200 electronics. Hum-single-single. The only wear on it is the Kahler. It took me a long time to realize you have to clean and lubricate them often. I have killer sweat.

Comment

Sounds like a cool axe. Post some pictures of it.

Comment

Cool find and Kahlers rock.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Sounds like a cool axe. Post some pictures of it.
                    +1

Pink & black snakeskin with reverse head? I really want to see it!

Comment

I'm taking some pictures for insurance in the next couple of days. I'll post the Soloist in the Jackson section. If I get five minutes today I'll take a quick picture to post here.

Comment

I got the Model 6 today. Awesome. Except for a small paint chip on the headstock and some very minor swirl/scuff on the back of the body it is immaculate. All the hardware shines. Original tweed case in perfect condition. Set up perfectly. All for $525. It is very, very close to to being the same as my custom order Soloist. Sounds amazing. Didn't even have scratchy pots. The binding has yellowed nicely. I like that. It is lighter than my Jackson.

Comment

Model 6's are the Soloists best kept secret. Theyre phenominal in every way, which is why Ive owed 5 of them... still have two, and those two wont be going anywhere ever! Congrats!
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Model 6 advice...

Glad to be on the forum, everyone! I've just recently bought a 1986 Charvel Model 6 in beautiful condition... Only someone looted the preamp . I took it it in, got a setup done, a brand new nut, new stringlock, and put EMG 85 in the bridge and EMG SA's in the single coil slots... My Kahler trem is locked down but I kinda want to use it... I paid 500 for it with the OHSC.

So, the guy at Precision Guitar in Phoenix was able to hook it up nicely. The guitar electronics were all screwed up by an unnamed GC guitar tech who royally screwed it up and I paid $140 for the privilege; I'm kinda thinking he'd be really embarrassed if i pointed out his lack of skills to him; I don't want to be responsible for him getting depressed or something. I wish I could get my money back, but I'm really shy and non-confrontational and stuff so I lack the wherewithal to go in and confront him. So anyways I looked around for another guitar tech and found , James Robertson at Precision Guitar (602) 265-7760 / www.precisionguitaraz.com He totally re-wired it, not only for the active pickups set up and also he was able to find an original Charvel JT-1000 passive preamp (i think thats what they were called; correct me if I am wrong} . He, unlike the other dude, said there was no problem with doing the preamp and the active emgs; well worth the 145 bucks! And he knew what he was doing! priceless; not only that, he appreciated the uniqueness and awesomeness of the import Charvels.

Yeah, so after turning a $500 guitar into a $965 guitar, It sounds real real good. way better than before. However, I suspect that the original pickups probably sound a lot better with the preamp. Is that true? should I put those back in? I still have em. Will it be totally worth it?

Also, I got my Kahler Locked down. Do your older Kahlers stay in tune ok when you float the trem? Like I said, its got a new stringlock and a new nut. What do y'all think?
                            Last edited by 1986CHMOD6; 08-09-2012, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Yeah, as long as the trem and string lock are clean and lightly lubricated, it should hold tune as well as any Floyd.

And the texture on the pickup covers doesn't even show any wear, at least from that picture. It only takes a couple hundred hours of play to start showing a fair amount of wear.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X