Should I get a Model 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a Model 1, 2, 3 or 4?

I'm looking to get one of the model series that are bolt on models, but I dunno which one I should buy, I like them all and some day I will have one of each but I'm wondering what to go for first out of them. Any model owners recommend which one would be best to buy first.

Thanks.
    2002 Classical Acoustic
    2003 Cruiser by Crafter Strat
    2003 B.C. Rich Mockingbird "Firebreather" L.E.
    2005 Jackson DKMG
    2003 Fender Stratocaster Candy Apple Red Satin L.E.
    2008 Ibanez JS100
    2009 B.C. Rick KKV
    2009 Ibanez RG350MYE L.E.
    2005 Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
    1989 Charvel 375 DLX
    2010 Jackson JS30KV
    2010 Fender JR Telecaster
    2003 Fender Jag-Stang
    2010 Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
    1988 Charvel Model 4
    2007 Jackson RR24
    2012 Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
    sigpic

I say go for the neck through. I know of someone selling a nice Model 6.....

Comment

LOL!

The Model 2 will always have a sweet spot because of the simplicity of it being a shredder.

Model 1 is nice because of maple fretboard, but vtrem and singles make me wonder.

Between the 3 and 4 is tough. The 4 is the flagship, but a lot of people hate those three mini switches and prefer a 5 way. I'd love to get a 3A in white. But a firecrackle Model 4 would be nice as well.

In the end, I think it boils down to what is the best deal.

Don't tell anyone I told you but the Sam Ash in my neck of the woods has a 1986 white Model 3. Pretty yellowed, black pickguard, HSS, and Kahler 2500 that needs to be replaced with a 2700 Killer. $349 is what they are asking. Not sure is that is with case or not.

Comment

I don't know why people post get a neck thru its better, hell man any of the model series are nice guitars.1-4 rock!! 5's and 6's are great too but not to buy a bolt on model series because its a bolt on? That is stupid.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't buy any guitar that isn't a bolt on. I'm sure the neck through Charvels are awesome but I'm a bolt on fanatic. Yes all of the Models are awesome. I believe they all have that same neck profile. It would come down to your own preference...maple vs rosewood board, trems, and electronics.

My first Charvel was a M4 and I loved it, but ended up gutting everything in it for one passive HB and volume pot. All of the empty holes in it, and the lack of maple board, bugged me after a while...so I found a NOS M1 that I had a Schaller installed in. That red guitar was the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever played. It absolutely killed.

Comment

The answer, of course, is simply 'yes', but if I were to choose just one, I'd go 4 a 4. Just for looks though, in pragmatic terms I think it's a toss between 3 and 4.

Currently my only Model series guitar is a Model 2 which I love to death. Has an OFR, a D-Tuna and a Tone Zone in it. Kicks an assortment of ass.

Comment

I'd say grab a 4. Very versatile, and just damn killer. I guess I'd say get a 2 second since I've basically customized my 3 project into a 2 by filling both single cavities and gone just volume.
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                Personally I wouldn't buy any guitar that isn't a bolt on. I'm sure the neck through Charvels are awesome but I'm a bolt on fanatic. Yes all of the Models are awesome. I believe they all have that same neck profile. It would come down to your own preference...maple vs rosewood board, trems, and electronics.
                I agree, bolt ons are awesome, all of my guitars are bolt ons too and I dont have a problem with them at all. In some cases I've found I get better sustain from a bolt on than on a neck through like my San Dimas vs my friends SL3, plus bolt ons I tend to find have a brighter sound are less muddy sounding compared neck thrus but that could just be with my settings and look at Steve Vai and Satch, the use bolt ons and they are the kings of sustain. I have maple boards, rosewood boards and ebony boards and I really don't have a preference, I like them all in their own ways so the fretboards doesn't matter, as long as I get one without a Kahler, not really a fan of them so I'd be going for an 87/88 model and electronics wouldn't matter that much as I could replace pups if I didn't like them. But if the pups are hot enough I'll get a great sound out of them anyway. LOl.
                2002 Classical Acoustic
                2005 Jackson DKMG
                2008 Ibanez JS100
                2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                2010 Jackson JS30KV
                2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                1988 Charvel Model 4
                2007 Jackson RR24
                sigpic

Comment

In 1989, we had 2 Charvel Models in the band: I had my Model 4 and the other guitarist had a thru-neck Model 6. Other guitarist sold his Model 6 soon after as he couldn't get the tone he wanted with a thru-neck, too dull in his opinion (mine too).....I've still got my Model 4 Awesome guitar, especially for the money they're going for these days, I have a US Charvel too and IMHO the main thing that makes it better is the hardware (pickups, switches) which you could soon upgrade on the Model to make one helluva guitar. The Japanese really knew how to build them, the neck especially.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellm View Post
                    In 1989, we had 2 Charvel Models in the band: I had my Model 4 and the other guitarist had a thru-neck Model 6. Other guitarist sold his Model 6 soon after as he couldn't get the tone he wanted with a thru-neck, too dull in his opinion (mine too).....I've still got my Model 4 Awesome guitar, especially for the money they're going for these days, I have a US Charvel too and IMHO the main thing that makes it better is the hardware (pickups, switches) which you could soon upgrade on the Model to make one helluva guitar. The Japanese really knew how to build them, the neck especially.
                    What US Charvel is it you have? I can still get a decent sound from a neck thru but they just sound a tad muddy, especially in lower tunings. How are the model necks compared to the pro-mod necks or even the toothpaste models, I have a 375 DLX and that is the best neck I own, sleek and fast, the San Dimas is a very close second, there isn't alot in it. Yeah I'd probably put an OFR on it but that depends on how well the original trem is. It would seem that the Model 4 is winning, but I'm not ruling the others out just yet.
                    2002 Classical Acoustic
                    2005 Jackson DKMG
                    2008 Ibanez JS100
                    2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                    1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                    2010 Jackson JS30KV
                    2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                    1988 Charvel Model 4
                    2007 Jackson RR24
                    sigpic

Comment

My Model 4 neck is my favorite neck on any guitar, period. Followed by my USA SD pro-mod neck. I haven't played my Jap pro-mod neck yet as it's going on my M3 project, but I have played them in stores and I think that will become my #2 neck preference over the USA eventually. I've got 1 toothpaste but it's a 750XL and that I would imagine is different from the other toothpasties.
                      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                        My Model 4 neck is my favorite neck on any guitar, period. Followed by my USA SD pro-mod neck. I haven't played my Jap pro-mod neck yet as it's going on my M3 project, but I have played them in stores and I think that will become my #2 neck preference over the USA eventually. I've got 1 toothpaste but it's a 750XL and that I would imagine is different from the other toothpasties.
                        Yeah the neck through toothpasties had thicker necks didn't they? The 375 Deluxe I own has, by far, the best neck I've ever played on, and I've played alot of guitars. Even my friend says that guitar is "a God of guitars". Lol. But in my mind I think I'd find it difficult to find a better neck than that. I recon the model series must have had similar necks though as I've never heard anything bad about them, so that's good news. Just wish I could find one of them I can afford.
                        2002 Classical Acoustic
                        2005 Jackson DKMG
                        2008 Ibanez JS100
                        2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                        1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                        2010 Jackson JS30KV
                        2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                        1988 Charvel Model 4
                        2007 Jackson RR24
                        sigpic

Comment

All the bolt-on Model guitars I played had the same feel in the neck from what I remember. I assumed they used the same neck. I love the neck on my Jap promod but I think the Model necks were even better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                            All the bolt-on Model guitars I played had the same feel in the neck from what I remember. I assumed they used the same neck. I love the neck on my Jap promod but I think the Model necks were even better, IMO.
                            I love the neck in my Pro Mod too, but I think my 375 Deluxe's neck is better than the Pro Mod, well only just. it's faster and thinner IMO.
                            2002 Classical Acoustic
                            2005 Jackson DKMG
                            2008 Ibanez JS100
                            2009 B.C. Rick KKV
                            1989 Charvel 375 DLX
                            2010 Jackson JS30KV
                            2003 Fender Jag-Stang
                            1988 Charvel Model 4
                            2007 Jackson RR24
                            sigpic

Comment

Id go with a model 6!!!!!!!!!! They are set neck, 24frets, have a bound fretboard and the body is made of poplar. the closest thing youll find to an old late 80's Jackson soloist. If I couldnt find a mint condition model 6.... Id go for a model 5,5a,or a 5fx! They are also set neck, 24 fret and are awesome too.
                              I have a model 5fx and model 6 in fire crackle finish. I like them just as much as my usa Jacksons.

The 1,2,3,4's are 22 frets and bodies are made of basswood.

Comment

Working...
                              X