What is the quality of my '88 Model A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the quality of my '88 Model A

I bought a Model A back in '88 for about $550 and have had it every since. I keep saying I need to sell it because I don't play it much but then I'll get it out and enjoy it... it really is a nice guitar but not as versatile as my multi-pickup guitars. However, I saw a new So Cal on a guys youtube page the other day and have been jonesin' for that. How does the quality of the two compare? I don't have a store around here that sells them. I wouldn't mind selling the Model A and picking up the So Cal if the quality and playability of the So Cal would blow the Model A out of the water.

Model As are from 2002.:think: and if it is a Model A no the socal do not blow it out of the water. Same factory and some of the same specs.

Comment

So, Im thinking its a model 2 or a model 1 if its a single hum model series guitar from 88. Was there a single hum model 5 variant? Maybe a model 88 too. So, a pic would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
        Was there a single hum model 5 variant?
        yea, the 5A
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Sorry guys... Maybe it is a Model 2. Here is a pic:

Comment

What a nice guitar. You should play that more often or send it to me. I want either a Model 2 like that or a 3A which is sort of a dual hum model 2.

Comment

You know I have never owned a Charvel, and the last time I played one was probably back in a store in the mid eighties. Ever since I have been on this board I have been telling myself, yes I talk to myself and sometime yell, thats another thread, I need to get one and try these out again. This is my first post on a Charvel and I really like that one. Now I know nothing about the models or the significance of the models, but I really like that one! You may kick yourself selling that one.
              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Yes, that is a model 2. It is an excellent guitar. The model series is an excellent bang for the buck. So, the value is not as high as you would like. Im gonna say about $300-$400 because of the nice condition, desirable color and case. So, if you could get your socal for like $650-700 then it might be worthwhile for you. You would probably have little problem selling that charvel here (go platinum for classified access). Or you might consider having another pickup added to it to get the versatility you need. The quality is on par with the pro mods with maybe the jt6 trem being the weak spot on the model 2.

Comment

Thanks everyone... Maybe I should put a tone control on it and split the coils and see if I can get more versatility out of it. What would be a good trem to replace the OEM one with that would fit right in if possible? I also need to find a shop to try out a So Cal... I love the white one with black pickgaurd and maple board.

Comment

i had a model 1 difference was a maple fret- board and no floyd loved it im still kicking myself for selling it
                    "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

That white Model 2 is exactly what I have bought new in early ’89 direct from Sam Ash for $155 (shipped!) without a case, my first charvel. My friend used to get their mail flyers and they advertised the Model 2’s for 150 a pop in either white or red. Since Charvel moved to the toothpaste logo in ’89, Sam Ash bought the remaining stock of the M2.

My other friend had a black Model 2 so I knew they were good..he also paid $400 for it. Anyway, I was lucky to have the funds for one, but I knew it was such a good deal, I should have bought 5 or 6! Anyway, a few months later, I visited NYC and walked into the Sam Ash on 48th st and the middle of the store were filled with Charvel-logoed trapezoidal boxes of the Model 2.

Anyway, I still have it. Over the years I changed out the stock trem for an OFR and changed the pickup to an EMG. The stock J90C pickup was pretty good though.

As far as the original question asked, I think the Model 2 can hang with the So Cal. The weakest point of the M2 is the locking hardware. The behind the nut lock does not lock that well after a while. The trem works well, but wears out over time. These things can be replaced. A big plus with these guitars is that the truss rod can be adjusted without taking the neck off….unlike the new ones. I’d keep the gitar you have. If you really want a neck pickup, you can try picking up a newer Charvel body and put the M2 neck on there.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                      X