Help identifying Charvel with SSS and gold hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying Charvel with SSS and gold hardware

Can anyone identify this guitar model, year and give me an approximate value? Thanks!

Looks like a Japan only CST. Not sure on the date but I've seen them on that auction site listed between $400 and $500. Don't know if they actually sold for that amount.

Comment

Cst40

The guy told me it's a Charvel CST40, but I can't seem to find any information about a model existing with this name. It looks really nice, but the headstock is different than most of the guitars it resembles.

Comment

Originally posted by RampantLion View Post
        The guy told me it's a Charvel CST40, but I can't seem to find any information about a model existing with this name. It looks really nice, but the headstock is different than most of the guitars it resembles.
        Yeah, the japan only models from that era got real stratheads while the US models got beaks and ballsacks.

Comment

Price

What would you say a good price is to offer him? I don't know much about this model and wouldn't know where to start? I have quite a few Charvels already, so if I do purchase it, I'd like to at least get a good deal on it.

Comment

They made a bunch of different stratheads starting around 91-92-ish if my memory serves correctly. The first runs were really nice, then they went to a more generic Strat like the one they pictured there, then later the SD reissues getting stratheads for Japan, then they produced the recently discontinued new ones...

Wish I could find a MIJ J.E.Lee or Holdsworth, they're pretty much a spot-on US strathead made in Japan with proper skunk-stripe and all. I wouldn't mind getting one of the import market US SD Reissue stratheads... one of those would probably be worth a grand, if not perhaps more by now...

The one pictured? For one of those, $400 or so would probably be top dollar market value now. The EU had a similar guitar, but without the strathead, didn't they? Those don't sell for very much.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Since I have never seen one of these, I was a little hesitant without first asking others on the forum. I like the look of it, but I'm in the middle of modifying a Model 275 Deluxe and wasn't planning on purchasing any more guitars until it is finished. LOL, right? It looks like this seller replaced the stock bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB Jr. which adds a little more value, especially to me since I'd be replacing it anyway with a high-out single coil. It doesn't come with the case or tremelo arm, but judging by the pictures, it's in nice shape.

Comment

Sweet

I picked up this guitar today. I had to fix some of the wiring, but it plays really nice. It's not as high of an output as I am used to, but for a single coil space, I like the Duncan JB Jr. I'm curious if anyone else on the forum owns one or has played one.

Comment

Hmmmm

I have a question.... the wiring in this guitar is a bit suspect and although I've tried to fix it up, there's a strange circuit board attached to one of the knobs, etc. I am now faced with the decision of spending $80 to have a professional re-wire it or sell it as it is. Since it's so rare, I'd imagine there would be a pretty good interest. In a way, I'd absolutely hate to lose this from my collection, but I have made too many purchases and I'd also hate to invest more money into guitars.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Comment

Nice guitar. It's probably got some kind of Jackson gain or mid-boost that runs off a 9v battery. Does it do anything at all?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmmm

The bridge pickup has been replaced with a Duncan JB Jr and the neck and mid pickups are the original Jackson pickups. When I first got it, the Duncan JB was not properly wired, the wires were reversed. I fixed that and a few lose connections, but the sound isn't 100%. And when I play with the knobs, the sound can cut out a bit. I might take the pickguard out again and maybe I can take a picture. I'm able to wire in humbuckers and what not, but this wiring is pretty confusing to me. I'd rather leave this as intact as I can, rather than replacing the knobs and wiring it from scratch. But, I'd hate to have to pay someone $80 or so to rewire it.

Comment

Wiring isn't that hard if you take your time with it. Sounds like you have a bad volume pot. If it has been soldered on too many times it was probably overheated. Pots are cheap too.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

This is a picture of the wiring. I have no idea what the circuit board attached to the tone knob does. *Shrugs* Also, where would I find a correct wiring diagram for the two Jackson single coils with the Seymour Duncan JB Jr bridge pickup and 5-way switch ???

Comment

Active preamp ????

Ok, I have now stumbled onto a strange issue. I'm redoing this guitar and I've discovered it has a battery wired to an active preamp / tone knob. The tone knob and preamp board are one piece. I believe this is shot, so I'd like to replace it. Anyone have an idea where I could buy something like this?????????

Comment

Working...
                            X