Model 275 Pickup advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 275 Pickup advice

Hello all! I recently picked up a Charvel Model 275 and as most people know, the pickup sound is not good at all. It currently has the 3 single coils with the 2 by the bridge being directly next to each other and slanted. I'm guessing I'll either need to use high-output pickups like Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or route it out for a humbucker. The guitar is in absolute perfect condition, so I'd hate to alter the body. If anyone has some advice, I'd really appreciate it!

IMO, these models are not highly collectible based on the features (3 singles, single locking trem) so modifying the bridge pickup route is actually an upgrade. Similar to the Avenger, I wouldn't hesitate to mod it to my preference.

Comment

Trem

Ironically, I've always preferred single locking trems over cutting the balls off. I also love the Avengers, but the pickups in this guitar seem nothing like my Avengers. Perhaps there's an issue or something because I can not get a heavy sound no matter what I do. Considering I am running into an Ampeg SS-150 solid state amp, it's hard NOT to get a heavy sound.

Comment

I'm not 100% certain, but I think a Fender guitar had dual red Lace Sensors in the bridge. Can't remember what model it was. I'm not sure if the dual lace sensors sounded any better.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate all suggestions. I'd prefer NOT to modify the body, so hopefully someone on the forum has owned a 275 in the past and figured out a solution. I guess any Avenger owners could help as well. I'm also going to check out the wiring since the output is so low and isn't comparable to the Avengers I already own.

Comment

one of our members, Newc, had a Warrior Pro with the same pickup config. He installed 3 single coil sized humbuckers into it. You could put a Hot Strat type set into it, wire it up to a 5-way
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Hot strat

How do these compare to the Hot Rails? I mainly play heavy metal and hardcore, so I'd like to get at least an extremely high output pickup in the bridge. All opinions are appreciated!

Comment

After the feedback and some research, I've ordered a Seymour Duncan Invader humbucker and a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails neck pickup. I think this should make for a really great upgrade!

Comment

you mentioned NOT wanting to modify the body. You'll have to to fit that Invader.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Body

I didn't want to modify the body, but after researching this pickup layout, it's basically the best choice. To put in humbucker pickups in a single-coil size would basically be a waste because the bridge and middle pickups are butt up to each other. I guess I could have simply switched out only the bridge pickup or only the bridge and neck with high output single coil sized pickups, but then I don't think it would end up as nice. This way, I can get the high output and with any luck, I won't need to use a pickup ring around the Invader.

Comment

I think you'll be very happy with this layout since you play metal and hardcore. Post some pics when you're done, I'd love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by RampantLion View Post
                        To put in humbucker pickups in a single-coil size would basically be a waste because the bridge and middle pickups are butt up to each other.
                        I don't see why. It would be an opportunity to have 3 distinctly different sounding pickups. Something high gain closest to the bridge, something that sounds good clean right next to it, and the Cool Rails at the neck. Or 2 different flavours of high gain at the bridge, if that's your preference.

But anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Invader.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

I'm with you G...I'd of put 2 different higher output single sized buckers at the bridge and a moderate output one in the neck controlled by a 5-way. Unless you do an outstanding routing job and matching paint you're going to need to use a pickup ring.

Comment

The only issue I see is that the cool/hot rails have the wire coming out the side so it wont just drop in if I remember correctly. I had to carefully cut some of the insulation near the pickup so that the wires would slide under the pickup then out. Of course, if the path is drilled directly at the center(through to the bridge pickups then to the cavity) then it may not be a problem.

Comment

Oh and if you were to try to use a two hotrails at the bridge they wouldnt be able to sit at the same height because of the previous mention of how the wire comes out of the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X