Old pots all 3 failed within a week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old pots all 3 failed within a week.

How strange is this. Get my guitar back from the tech, he fitted my new neck, fret dress and set up. When I got it back, the boost pot started getting stiff and within a couple of turns it stopped altogether. So i replaced it. Then within the same week the same thing happened to the tone and volume. So I replaced them all -

I never liked the way the pot was mounted on the boost circuit so I changed rings round a little

Works a treat and a lot easier to change pots in the future. I also replaced a lot of the wiring as it was getting old a brittle.

Strange. The first thing that comes to mind is that the tech might have sprayed something into the pots to clean and lube them. Maybe it wasnt the right stuff and it killed them.

Comment

Yeah if he used contact cleaner it will lock them up and have to be oiled afterwards. Sounds like thats what he did. A drop of penetrating oil may have fixed them
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

The guitar did stink of lighter fuel, maybe he spilt a load of it on the guitar

Comment

Originally posted by tinribs View Post
          And you let him work on your guitars?
          In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by tinribs View Post
            Channeling Jimi Hendrix most likely, it happens sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
              And you let him work on your guitars?
              Oh yes, the guy is awesome. An old boy that's been building guitars since the 70's. He probably cleaned the neck off with lighter fuel and put it back in the case soon after

Comment

Well if he's so careless as to have spilled it in the pots, and on top of that didn't bother to tell you what happened, he wouldn't work on my shit ever again.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Working...
                X