New ProMod, Failure #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ProMod, Failure #3

Now this is a rant of sorts, I love Charvels, but I have not purchased one new since picking up my 375Dx in Sept. of 1990. So I get my first one last week wildcard #6, fine except for the chiped paint on the headstock, so it went back, no exchange as the are no more. I also ordered a candy blue San Dimas, it arrived two days later, looked great other than the missing paint around the neck PUP route, looks like the blue paint was scratched off at the edge of the top of the body at the route and was sent for the clear coat. So oh and they mounted the neck pup crooked, it's off by a lot. So that one goes back. I order from another vendor, the 3rd one arrives today, I open the box and then the case, strange, there is a chrome square metal part with a hole in the middle sitting on the top of the body? Oh wait there is another one by the headstock, oh wait that is parts from the locking nut, then looking at the locking nut, where are the screws and locking plates? Lift the guitar out of the case and found the the screws and locking plate under the guitar. appears these were so loose that they came off the nut and have been bouncing around and under and over he guitar since it was shipped. Yes there are all sorts of small dings and scratches. So is this normal for new charvels?? Wow, I thought Gibson had some issues. I really want one of these San Dimas MIJ models but trying for a 4th?

I sure hope I don't have this issue with my CS order.
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

Maybe the builders had already recieved their pink slips so no one gave a shit?

Comment

the locknuts bouncing around the case sounds like a vendor issue to me, not manufacturer. So do the chips around the headstock & in the finish. The seller should have checked these things before they sent you the guitar. Surely they would have inspected the guitars upon receipt from Charvel. Their reputation as sellers depends on it, so to sell a guitar as new with chips in the finish from the factory seems remiss. Either that, or the guitars were floor stock or returns, and the seller is relying on you to just suck it up and wear it. Rather than ship the guitar with loosened locknuts, they should have secured them in a bag and taped them to the case.

In either instance, I'd be demanding compensation from the seller.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Wow. The Jap Promod I ordered from Squid was flawless. Granted, they did some work to it, but it was and still is amazing. Also in candy blue. I'm sorry to hear...these are some really nice guitars. Or were.

Comment

Both vendors were large on-line outfits so I don't think they checked these before they went out. I guess I will try one more.
          750XL Cherry Sunburst
          375DX Metallic black
          Model 2 blue
          Model 2 Red
          Gibson Les Pauls
          PRS SC-250

Comment

Try one more. Every one I have and have played was phenominal with no visible defects. Youre probably just getting unlucky, and remember these arent made any more so youre buying the last of whats left.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

My wc8 is pristine
              www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                Wow. The Jap Promod I ordered from Squid was flawless. Granted, they did some work to it, but it was and still is amazing. Also in candy blue. I'm sorry to hear...these are some really nice guitars. Or were.
                Agree, the wild card that I ordered from them arrived in perfect, playable condition.

Comment

Okay, #4 will be on the way tomorrow, fingers crossed!
                  750XL Cherry Sunburst
                  375DX Metallic black
                  Model 2 blue
                  Model 2 Red
                  Gibson Les Pauls
                  PRS SC-250

Comment

Dude, it may be too late, but check out Squid's retro mod pro mods. Still direct mounted pups, but have pup rings. To me looks better. It took them a few days to complete and set up, but they were fantastic to work with. I hope your next one works out for you.

Comment

My Candy Blue Pro Mod arrived in mint condition and perfectly set up. She is a beast! Hang in thee the wait is wirth it when the right one gets to you!
                      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                      ENGL Powerball II
                      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Not one of these issues seem to be manufacturer related. I don't believe any dealer would accept a new guitar from the manufacturer with chipped paint. I think you have been unlucky with the dealers. This is the main problem buying Charvel/Jackson - most of us are not within driving distance to stores that carry them. So, you rely on the ever careful packaging techniques of large warehouse sellers.

I don't think you will have any problems with your CS order.

Comment

I had similar problems when I ordered my Ferrari Red San Dimas back in Nov-Dec last year. When I opened the first one I received, I discovered that the volume knob had dislodged off the post and bounced around all over the guitar during shipping and banged it up pretty good. The shop I bought it from accepted the return easily enough but now they're stuck selling the guitar as 'used' They couldn't get another in the color I wanted so they refunded my money. Charvel was out of stock and didn't know when they were getting more.

The second, I bought off Amazon. When it arrived it was much as you described. The screws and plates were off the locking nut strewn all over the case. (never did find all the bits) But the worse thing is that they sent the wrong color, Candy Red, in a Ferrari Red box. There is a big difference between the colors, Candy Red should be called 'Salmon'. So back that one went.

I was bummed and pissed off because I'd been wanting a Ferrari Red Promod for awhile and I was gonna forget the whole thing, but I called a local store and they we're able to find me one in the right color. I told them to be sure to tighten all the nuts and bolts and remove the volume knob and ship in the bag with the trem arm. Thankfully it showed up perfect.

And it's Awesome! It's my main player. To the OP. Hang in there. When you finally get it, I'm sure you gonna dig it.

Comment

My San Dimas also arrived with one of the lock nut clamps loose in the case, though thankfully no damage. Everything else was perfect. Love it and my WC6. Sorry you've had such a run of bad luck, but it'll be worth the effort I'm sure.
                            http://www.mattdixon.co.uk/

Comment

Titan7 - how did #4 turn out? Any issues?

I just returned my So-Cal ProMod, also bought it from a well-known online music store. Worked great for a month and then started having intermittent electrical issues. Seems like the bridge pickup would cut out while playing, the pickup selector would not use the bridge pickup, but the neck humbucker instead. Its possible it was the DiMarzio pickup that was going bad also. My wife just called and #2 just arrived this AM. Can't wait to get home and check it out. I hope this one is OK. Absolutely great guitars, the neck plays like butter; seems there are some quality issues though with what we've described.

Comment

Working...
                              X