Are the model 3M's harder to come by?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the model 3M's harder to come by?

Found one for sale in good condition just not sure if I want to spring the cash on it. Are they harder to find usually?

There was no 3M. There was a 4M made in '88 only, and they made way fewer of them than the regular Model 4, so they are pretty hard to come by.

Comment

He states he is the original owner and it has a maple neck......so what model 3 has a maple neck?

Comment

Well they all had maple necks. Not trying to be an ass, I just want to be sure we're talking about the same thing here, where the "M" refers to the fretboard wood being maple. If it has a maple fretboard, it could be a Model 3 with a 4M neck or Model 1 neck added, or he thinks his 4M is a 3M because he may not know the difference, ie. both are HSS, but the 4M has the midboost & 3 pots, and 3 mini switches instead of a blade switch. The other possibility might be that it's a Japan market guitar that came with the model 3 specs and maple board. There was no Model 3 available in the US market with a maple board. The only ones that had maple were the 1, the 4M and the 7 (which had a reverse headstock).

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          There was no 3M.
          +1 That's what I thought.

Comment

He says he purchased it brand new in 87 it has serial #307408, has a 5 way switch and maple fret board. Neck hasn't been swapped he claims.

Comment

It might have been swapped at the shop where he bought it or been some weird situation, but as far as I know there is no model 3m. People often refer to a model 2m but they mean that they created it, not that it is original like that. there might be 2 extra holes under the stringlock for the full sized trussrod cover if its a model 1 neck. I dont think the stringlock screws line up with them, so they would still be there.
              Last edited by Carbuff; 02-20-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

If he's asking the going rate for a Model 3, I'd buy it, because I prefer maple fretboards. If he's asking for more because it's rare or whatever, I'd pass on it for the simple reason that you would most likely never be able to get that extra money back out of the guitar. Even if everything he says is true and it was one of the only Model 3s shipped that way, you'd be the one stuck trying to explain to lowballers that it's not a parts guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by MODEL5FX View Post
                  He says he purchased it brand new in 87 it has serial #307408, has a 5 way switch and maple fret board. Neck hasn't been swapped he claims.
                  307408 is rather late 1988. So, there goes any chance of being purchased in 1987. Furthermore, the 5 way blade screams Model 3 body, which was never offered with a Maple board. This tells us the neck is from another Model. To determine if it's from a M1 or M4M I need pics, however there will always remain the question of if the 307408 plate originally came with the 3 bod, or with the neck of unkown vintage, or lastly came attached to neither the 3 bod nor the neck.

It's a parts guitar, pretty certain, cuz that 307408 doesn't fall within either of the two known "cuttings" for the 4M. The first cutting ended around 2995XX, the second around 316XXX. No known 4Ms fall around 307XXX, which is right between the two cuttings, each of which ran for more than 3,000 - or 296XXX thru 299XXX and then later 313XXX thru 316XXX (ISH).

Bottom line = there was never a 3M.
                  Mitch
                  AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

She is on her way to me.................We will see what she actually is when it arrives. The guy swears he has owned it since new and it was bought from a Charvel dealer of the rack. What if it is 1 of 1 for model 3's with a maple neck:idea:. I am curious to tear the neck off and see what is going on. What if it is a model 4 with a 5 way switch?

Come on Mitch let a man dream a little----->>>>>

Comment

lol.

Perhaps you now own the most exclusive Model Series guitar ever made!!

Do us all a fave and follow up w/ a pic of any/all neck pocket markings along w/ any other pics that might help ID.

Congrats on your new axe.)
                      Mitch
                      AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Is this thing a model 1c?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          genius, Rich. Of course it is.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Hmm, now why didnt I think of that. Ive got one of those too. And its serial number is.............299808. How does that fit in?
                            Last edited by Carbuff; 02-21-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Vintage trem?
                              Mitch
                              AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Working...
                              X