Early model series pickup covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early model series pickup covers

Hey all, don't post much these days, but I need someone to jog my memory a bit. I probably used to know the answer to this, but old age is kicking in!
    I have an early '86 model 4, and the pickup covers don't have the Jackson logo's. I just bought another identical model 4 yesterday (later serial #), and it does have the logo's. If I remember from early photos, didn't the earliest ones have the plain covers? I've had it for so many years that I forgot, but I'm almost 100% certain it is all original. Anyone remember this?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Mark is back!

Could someone had filed off or played off the logos?

I've only seen logos, but I've never had an original 1980's Jackson or Charvel. I've always had to put them back together. I just got done finishing up a 86 Model 4 black with gold hardware. HS-2, HS-3 and J-80C pickups with the JE-1200 boost. It sounds pretty sweet and it's my first playable Kahler in 20 years (have another but it's a project).

Some was asking about gluing in necks and I still remember that 24 fret RR conversion you did.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/127...one-every-done
    Last edited by DonP; 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

almost everyone will post and say that someone filed off the logo and they would be wrong. The earliest one did not have logos. I don't have the pickups any more but I have the 56th model 6 made and although I did not buy the guitar new you could tell that the logos were never there. You can't file off the logo and add the tecture these covers have.

Comment

Mark, I'm pretty sure they always had the logo, but the early ones had a flat logo that could easily wear off (or be removed) and the later ones had a raised logo. Dave talks about it a little on his site:

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/other_p..._Ring_Upgrades

Comment

Posted before I saw Rich's post. Very interesting!

Comment

Mark, I'm pretty sure they always had the logo, but the early ones had a flat logo that could easily wear off (or be removed) and the later ones had a raised logo. Dave talks about it a little on his site:

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/other_p..._Ring_Upgrades the earlier ones had schaller trems like the one in the photo???:think: the later ones had painter logos.

Comment

I wish I could find the pictures of my old pickups when I sold them. Mark (welcome back!) you should post pictures of the pickups and let everyone decide if they think there were logos or not.

Comment

You're right Rich. I had it backwards. I looked at the '86 catalog and the proof is right there. The humbucker on the Model 4 is uncovered, but the J200s have unlogoed covers.

Comment

Thanks guys! Really good to be back around here from time to time.
                  These covers obviously never had logos, you could easily tell if they'd been filed off, but these definitely never had them.
                  I was leaning toward them being original, but didn't trust my memory.
                  Here's another thing that was cool about this deal....I picked the newer one up at the Guitar Center in West Palm Beach. Of course I'm a wheeler dealer so I asked to talk directly to the general manager to make a deal. Turned out he is one of the old timers here, "Skid". It was awesome to finally put a face with the name, and rather ironic that we both ended up in Palm Beach. He reminded me of some of the cool old Charvel.Jacksons he still has. I had severe flashbacks! I must add too that he has turned that place around, and if you think all Guitar Centers are bad, go there and he'll prove you wrong at his store.

Comment

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe my old dot-neck M4 had plain covers.

Comment

That was me, and while I may be relatively new to JCF, I'm 41 and and have been playing since I was 16 so you know where you can put those smileys.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                        I can't be 100% sure, but I believe my old dot-neck M4 had plain covers.
                        Yep, all 86's had dots and a Kahler. My conclusion is that some of the very early ones had non-logo'd covers.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                          That was me, and while I may be relatively new to JCF, I'm 41 and and have been playing since I was 16 so you know where you can put those smileys.
                          Well , Mark is the person you want to ask about gluing in a neck.

Comment

Thank you sir.

Hey Mark, how about taking a look at the thread? Any advice for or against doing what I have in mind will be much apreciated.
                            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                              Thank you sir.

Hey Mark, how about taking a look at the thread? Any advice for or against doing what I have in mind will be much apreciated.
                              Well, I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X