1986 (Kahler'd) Model 4 Pickup sugestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 (Kahler'd) Model 4 Pickup sugestions

I almost never ask for pickup suggestions because everyone has a different idea, but what the hell.

Some ground rules first

I have a DiMarzio HS-2 and HS-3 for the singles. The humbucker should go with these, and from what I hear they are pretty low output. Also, which HS would you put where (neck or middle) and why? edit: I've been reading and it sounds like the HS-2 is brighter and should go into the neck and the HS-3 should go in the middle.

Next, it has to be a pickup I already own. Here are your choices.

Super Distortion
    Invader - edit: gone into the DK2
    Screamin Demon
    Duncan Distortion
    Duncan Seymourizer
    Jazz Neck
    Pearly Gates Neck
    Custom Custom
    J80C covered
    J90C covered
    PJ Marx Brad Gillis
    L500XL made in West Germany
    Full Shred - ave one in a 750XL String thru mahogany (clear finish)
    Super 3 - already have this in two HM Strats.
    Evolution

I'd like to hear a reason why you'd pick one over another.

Thanks.

P.S., if you feel really ambitious, give suggestions for a replacing the J90C in a Charvel Fusion Deluxe (too bright) and the JB in an SL1 (sounds just like the SL2H - need somthing different)
    Last edited by DonP; 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM.

I'd probably give the Full Shred and the L500XL the first two tries mainly because I've used em both in basswood guitars and have had good luck with them. They both seemed to make the basswood sound more tonally balanced. After that I'd take stock in what I thought the guitar needed and go from there. Please post your findings.

Damn, I got ahead of my myself. I didn't realize you needed something lower output due to the singles. hmm. Try the Full Shred. It doesn't seem really high output to me and may work okay. The Screamin demon would also work but I've always found that pickup to have a bright balance that I just didn't dig.
    Last edited by defec; 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

either the super distortion or the evolution for the humbucker.
      I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

I had a FS in my kahlered M4 years ago and it kicked ass! I can't compare it to any singles as I gutted everything out of the guitar except the HB and volume pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
          I had a FS in my kahlered M4 years ago and it kicked ass! I can't compare it to any singles as I gutted everything out of the guitar except the HB and volume pot.
          Is this your old guitar? It sure sounds like it!

I bought it a couple of years ago from Nashville Used Music. It came gutted with a Full Shred and a volume pot only. A chrome and black Harley Davidson sticker was placed over the holes left by everything being gutted.

I usually don't like two guitars with the same pickups. I have a Full Shred in my 750XL, but that's quite a different guitar. Heavy mahogany string thru, short scale, set neck. The Full Shred may be a good choice.

Invader is off the market. It went into my DK2 and put a smile on my face.
          Last edited by DonP; 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Is this your old guitar? It sure sounds like it!

I bought it a couple of years ago from Nashville Used Music. It came gutted with a Full Shred and a volume pot only. A chrome and black Harley Davidson sticker was placed over the holes left by everything being gutted.

I usually don't like two guitars with the same pickups. I have a Full Shred in my 750XL, but that's quite a different guitar. Heavy mahogany string thru, short scale, set neck. The Full Shred may be a good choice.

Invader is off the market. It went into my DK2 and put a smile on my face.
            Well, it could be. I had mine fitted with an OFR later on. It was red with dot inlays, forgot what year that is...it was a really good sounding guitar with the FS. Back then I tried many diff pups in that guitar and that was what ended up staying in. Loaned it to a friend who I later found out had drug problems...and I never saw him or the guitar again.

Comment

Nope, false alert. This one is black and still has the Kahler. Just funny that it was wired just like yours.

Comment

I had a screamin demon in my model 4 many years ago-and it sounded really good, but the output was much lower than the j200's. So I'd give it a try with the lower output singles.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Nope, false alert. This one is black and still has the Kahler. Just funny that it was wired just like yours.
                  Small world, lol. Model 4's and those preamps!

Comment

Working...
                  X