Model 4 Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 Restoration

I picked this baby up off of CL last year for $150. It was all original including the tweed case. I was really blown away by the tone out of this thing, and decided to restore it the best I could. The body had some sort of overspray on it, and I had a hard time with that. I worked on it a bit with some micro mesh, but really just ended up with a hazy looking mess.

The Kahler was pretty rough!

These suck to restore if you have to buy replacement parts. I needed a bar and a couple of those roller saddles, and it cost me friggin $100. I went with the Floyd type bar and springs. They also have about a million small parts on them.

Tada!

The neck looked pretty good. These are a lot like the Jackson Strats, except with a hard finish.

The headstock had some nice dings on it.

So I sent the neck and body to Marty Bell for a powder blue finish. He knocked it out of the park!

He cleared over a Best Decal decal and it looks great.

These take a bit of work to rewire!

All together now.

Dude, great job on this! From a thrashed beater to powder blue beauty. I have a few model series that fit into the thrashed category so this really inspires me. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks like new! Your painter must have spent a lot of time taping that logo.

Comment

...nice

Comment

Powder blue + rosewood = Win!
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
            Looks like new! Your painter must have spent a lot of time taping that logo.
            Thanks, yeah like I mentioned it is a replacement from Best Decals. Those are vinyl and thicker than the originals, so getting the clear coat nice and level takes some skill. I think doing the extra work to get them set like that is time well spent.

Comment

wow, great job
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Wow, that powder blue is fantastic! I have a black model 4 with maple that I am not in love with, now I am wondering what it could become lol...

Comment

Model 4 resto

Looks real nice. I'm not a fan of light blue and I even said DAMN!

Who is this Marty Bell guy and how do we contact him for paint work? Is he reasonable?

Thanks

Comment

it's like seafoam green? blue? she's a keeper...

Comment

Holy shit, that hands down is the nicest model 4 I've ever seen. Fuckin' stunning.

I had a plain jane red one years ago, just like that. Not much to look at, but what a player.

Very inspirational to see what can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X