Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model 5 help

Hello All
    I just picked up what i think is a model 5.
    It had a headstock repair,so if anything was on the headstock it is now gone.
    It is neck tru.It has dot makers on the fret board.2 active jackson pickups.
    A kahler trem.It is purple in colour.
    On the 24th fret it is stamped 111.
    Is it a model 5?

Sounds like an '86 Model 5 in "Black Cherry". Kahler trems were only used in '86. Serial # should be C6xxxxx, but things can happen to serials.

Comment

thanks dg
      Would the serial number have been on the headstock?
      Do you know what the 111 on the 24th fret is?

Comment

if i'm not mistaken it isnt active pickups but an active electronics system.. dot inlays are MOP? sounds like a model 5 to me tho the stamping on the 24th fret seems a bit odd. i dont think mine had anything on the fretboard

Comment

The neckthroughs usually had the serial stamped at the end of the fretboard after the 24th, but some of them had a little serial # sticker under the clearcoat on the back of the headstock. I have no idea what the 111 is, except for possibly being the remnants of a full serial #. Serials can get sanded off, either by someone who intentionally removes it (like a thief) or during a refret, when the fretboard gets sanded. It could also just be mis-stamped.

Comment

Well, since it has a Kahler, it's from '86. I think the serials were on the back of the headstock until '88 (or late '87). After that, they began stamping it into the fretboard at the 24th fret. My M6 from '87 has it on the back of the headstock.

I have no idea what the "111" is supposed to mean. It might be something put there by a dealership.

That guitar originally had the guitar-shaped Charvel logo (with the "6 in line" tuners), and the text "By Jackson/Charvel".

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
              if i'm not mistaken it isnt active pickups but an active electronics system.. dot inlays are MOP? sounds like a model 5 to me tho the stamping on the 24th fret seems a bit odd. i dont think mine had anything on the fretboard
              You are right, just the mid boost is active.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                Well, since it has a Kahler, it's from '86. I think the serials were on the back of the headstock until '88 (or late '87). After that, they began stamping it into the fretboard at the 24th fret. My M6 from '87 has it on the back of the headstock.

I have no idea what the "111" is supposed to mean. It might be something put there by a dealership.

That guitar originally had the guitar-shaped Charvel logo (with the "6 in line" tuners), and the text "By Jackson/Charvel".
                My 87 Model 5 (JT-6) has the serial stamped on the fretboard after the 24th fret.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My 87 Model five has the sticker under the clear too so I assume they started stamping the fret during the 87 production year.

Comment

Working...
                  X