Charvel Model 6 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6 help

My local Guitar Center just took in a Model 6 Charvel in what appears to be a navy blue color. It has a Kahler trem and appears from the pic to be in relatively good condition. I'm trying to find out any usefult tips that may help me when I go and look at this guitar. Can anything be determined from the serial number? If this guitar is in good condition whats it worth? They are asking $600 with a case.

It's an '86 Model 6. That was the only year they came with that trem. Serial is below the 24th fret (or possibly on a sticker at the back of the headstock on early ones, iirc) and should start with C6xxxxx. As for what to look for, start with the usual things like playability, how much fret wear it has (refrets are pricey on neckthroughs), condition of the finish etc. If it still has the original active electronics system in it, make sure you plug it in and check that out. The volume pot often goes bad on these and it is mounted right on the circuit board of the pre-amp, so if it's bad I'd factor that into my haggling. As for price, if it was me I'd want to pay closer to $500 than $600 for a Model 6 with a Kahler. The Kahler may be a higher quality trem than the JT-6 that came on the later models, but the JT-6 can be swapped easily for an OFR.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

One other small issue to look for is the jack. The stereo jacks they used on these have a weak plastic housing that can crack, then the contacts get loose & shift around. Just give it a wiggle & check it out, see if it's loose, noisy, or if the signal cuts in & out. Easy to replace for a few bucks, but just one more thing you might be able to use to bargain.

Comment

Working...
        X