Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I give up. Need help with serial numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I give up. Need help with serial numbers.

A local pawnshop has a kickass looking Charvel superstrat. It's in the Firecrackle finish.

Does anyone know what model it could be? I have the serial number. It's neck through, has a H/S pickup configuration, the bridge pup was an X2N clone. At first I thought it was Model 5 FX, but the single coil isn't slanted.

It has a Jackson Floyd with a Khaler locking nut, I think rosewood fretboard, dot inlays. Jackson headstock, with the Charvel "toothpaste" logo, I think.

The serial number is: C802538

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Could be a 5A with an added neck pickup. Did it look stock?

Comment

I really couldn't tell. The only difference I could see was that the bridge pickup was uncovered, whereas the single coil wasn't.

Comment

A Model 5A and 5FX would not have the toothpaste logo.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My bad, it doesn't have the toothpaste logo. I just looked at a pic my my mom took, and it's definitely the classic Charvel logo.
          Last edited by guitarist1993; 08-10-2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Can you post the photo?

Comment

This is the best I can do, since my phone can't transfer pictures worth a shit

Comment

Based on the photo, I have to agree with ChrisOlson, 1988 - 5A with a neck pickup added.

Comment

So do you guys think it would be worth $425 with a beat to shit case? It could use a setup, and there are minor chips on the body, and 2 at the end of the fretboard, as well as a bit of corrosion on the hardware. My main concern is a small amount of glue showing at the junction of the nut and board. When I saw it, I thought it could be a warning sign that there was a break there at some point, but the neck feels just fine.

Playability-wise, it's great. I love the neck carve, and I've been wanting another Strat shape for a while.

Comment

$425 isn't out of the ballpark but personally, I would offer $300 to $350 for it since it has been modified and there are those other issues your mention (set up, cleaning, glue showing, chips, crappy case).

Comment

It was marked for $500, so I offered $350, and they agreed to meet me halfway. I'll take some info about the 5A's with me, to prove that it's been altered.

Just out of curiosity, what would it be worth new?

Comment

The 5A had a list price of around $800, and you could probably get one at a shop for $600 to $650. Keep in mind that was in 1988, so that'd be around a grand in 2010 dollars. $425 isn't bad as long as you check that neck out well. Maybe have a good look at the edges of cavity for the added pickup, just to see if they did a good job.

Comment

Fuck, I just got a call from the store. The original owner bought it back. Damn it, shoulda jumped on it while I had the chance.

Comment

Bummer. Where was it? I see those from time to time around the Twin Cities area.

Comment

DFW area

Comment

Working...
                              X