I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help

Hey guys I need some advice, I'm not very familiar with import Charvel's but a pawn shop where I live has me drooling for one. It's a Ferrari red single hum with a rosewood board but I'm not sure wich model number it is, I would guess It's late 80's. However here's my problem, the bridge is some sort of a dinosaur looking khaler but it floats like a floyd & the pivot stud inserts look much closer together than they do on a floyd also the locking nut is on the headstock behind the actual nut of the guitar. Is there a way to replace this bridge with a floyd? Does this type of locking nut realy work? They want $200 for it but the adjustment screws on the bridge are rusted and look stripped out so I would need to replace it, would it be possible to have a pro install a floyd?

Thanks

Model 1 or Model 2

Made in Japan 1986-87

The Kahler absolutely kills the value

Try for 100 or 125 and then get back to us with pics and we can advise on replacing the trem.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

'86 Model 2, and I agree w/ Ron about the price. Haggle hard & maybe go as high as $150, but I wouldn't go any higher if you know you'll have to replace the trem.

Comment

Look like this? this is an 86 model 2 with a kahler pro. oh and on a side note: ) I sold it on ebay for 450. bucks and got great feedback : )

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Yup that's it, is there anyway to replace it with a floyd without drilling new holes? Also can the JT6 bridge be replaced easily with a floyd with no modifications like the USA promods?

Thanks

Comment

The only way to replace the Kahler Fulcrum bridge without drilling for new posts is to track down a Kahler 2710 (aka Kahler Killer) double-locking trem. They were discontinued a lonbg time ago, so eBayt is about the only place to find them. A couple of people have said that a Wilkinson trem also has the same post spacing, but I don't think you really get any advantage from that swap.

As for your JT-6 question, yes, a floyd should be a drop in replacement almost all of the time. Once in a while, you need to create a little extra room in the route at the area of the trem arm bushing, but it seems like that happens most often with USA Jacksons.

Comment

Thanks I realy appreciate the help.

Comment

A floyd 2 has the same spacing I think? you have to take in account the the model 2 I posted did not have even pick swrils on it in was mint. plus most have the usa j-90c that sounds sooo great! I think if you can repair that model of kahler you would find it as good as a jt-6! its not as hard to tweak as the killer, pretty much tune and go. where you lose tunning is in the nut really. but dg is the man for sure(knows more than I) if I have a Q I go to him, and a few others. but since I have owned this I can say fix the brdge and play away bro.
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I've been stocking up on Kahler Killers by purchasing Peavey Nitros. just waiting for a nice 86 Model 2 to come along.

Comment

I just got a ferrari red Model 2 off the bay and I'll be dying til It gets here! I have two of the promods, how do the old model series compare to them as far as quality, feel & tone? I know these are subjective but I'm just looking for some opinions from you guys out there that own both.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X