Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding aftermarket necks for model series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding aftermarket necks for model series...

is getting hard.

I have a M1 and an M2 which could both do with new necks. In fact I got one of the necks already on from here, but it needed a fret levelling. The levelling I think got botched and the neck has never stopped buzzing, regardless of which nut I made or had made for it.

Got a parts M2 locally from which I swapped necks and well... turns out I'm better off just getting two necks! A fret level here is about 200 euros (not a typo: 200 euros... about 220 dollars). It's more worth it getting two new necks with decent frets and doing the rest myself. I don't mind getting Floyd nuts if required instead of Kahler nuts, though obviously, reusing the hardware I have is better.

Anyway last I heard, Musikraft was making these... but it's in the US. I could get a neck from here but overseas shipping seems rare, necks are getting more expensive, and I may still require a fret levelling...

So any tips for a Euro model series enthusiast..? First guitar was an M4 which I got after much convincing from this forum 5 years ago!

... that low on possibility right...? I'm willing to order from the US if required!

Comment

I don't have anything to suggest that you haven't already mentioned. Have you tried asking over at JGP? It's more Euro-centric, and they may either know of somebody making necks over there, or at least a more reasonable place to send your necks for fretwork.

Comment

Thanks What's JGP though..? I thought I was on most big guitar forums round here...

Yeah I doubt it'll be much cheaper. In Holland where I was before it was also around 200 euros for a fret levelling. Real silly prices.

Comment

$200 Euros sounds like what you'd pay for a re-fret, not a level and dress. :think:

Comment

I'll PM you, pott, since I don't know if we're supposed to post links to other forums.

Comment

Fret leveling scares the hell out of me but it sounds like it may be the only financially good choice. I wouldn't do it until you get neck first, but after you get a good neck why not practice fixing your old necks as a backup?

Just a thought.

Comment

That would definitely be a plan, but I'm stuck in a small one bedroom appartment in a block in the middle of the city and there's just no way I can setup a workbench for this kind of work; no space. These are also compound radii necks and I would rather start practicing fret levelling/dressing/crowning with straight radii boards first, of which I have non spare.

And yes, it sounds like that's what a refret should cost... but this is Europe and this gets you a fret levelling That's just how it is...

Comment

Wow 200 euros sounds really sick. In Poland fret levelling costs about 250zł (60 euros?) with a guitar setup ( www.nexus-guitars.com - my luthier)

pott - pm me, maybe I can help you with getting this neck leveled in Poland?

Comment

Thanks for the offer mraus I would not do a neck outside of its guitar though, that's just me. I may just have to save up and wait. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X