Surfcaster questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfcaster questions...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and have what is probably the atypical Charvel (a Sea Green '94 Surfcaster w/humbucker + lipstick tube). I just got it recently and it's a truly awesome guitar (will post pics as soon as I figure out how). I'm hoping the resident Charvel Surfcaster expert can weigh in on my questions:

- Is there any way to date my guitar based on serial number (I can't seem to find any definitive system or serial number range/date table, like other brands)?

- It's my understanding that Charvel Surfcasters were made from '92-'95. Does anyone have any idea how many were produced?

- What kind of material is the nut (non-roller nut)? Looks like black plastic, and I'll likely change to bone.

- The Kluson-style tuners are stamped "Japan" on the back, which would lead me to think they're Gotohs. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!!!!
    "Life's too short for shitty guitars" - unknown

I'll answer as the resident 'enthusiast' rather than 'expert' because I am still looking for a lot of answers as well. Congrats on acquiring a kick-ass guitar!
    Originally posted by silversurfer View Post
    - Is there any way to date my guitar based on serial number (I can't seem to find any definitive system or serial number range/date table, like other brands)?
    Nope- it looks like there was NO sequential order in the production runs, at least none that was recorded. I've been thinking about creating a reference thread so we can start getting an idea. Your configuration (C-stop tailpiece, I presume?) with the Humbucker and non-roller nut puts it towards the later years of the 'real' surfcaster- most likely '94 or '95.

- It's my understanding that Charvel Surfcasters were made from '92-'95. Does anyone have any idea how many were produced?
    Again- I've looked for the same info, and apparently there is none available. As far as the years go, I have seen evidence of production surfcasters dating back to 1991- which would make sense for them to appear in the '92 catalog.

- What kind of material is the nut (non-roller nut)? Looks like black plastic, and I'll likely change to bone.
    Not sure on this one- though now I'm curious. All of mine are the same black plastic, although I have never had any problem with it.

- The Kluson-style tuners are stamped "Japan" on the back, which would lead me to think they're Gotohs. Anyone know for sure?
    Interesting- none of my surfcasters (I have 4) have tuners that are marked with any origin, or any text at all. I wonder if yours have been replaced, or if they changed the tuners on the later models like yours. Pics would help, of course...

Anyway, welcome to the club!
    I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

I would kill for a '92 Seafoam Green one with the "C" tail piece. That's all I know about them.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

SignOftheDragon - thanks for the reply and info - Sorry, when I said the tuners are stamped Japan on the back, I meant on the "inside" when you remove them. There are no identifying marks on the backs, and I'm quite sure these are original. I think I've seen the pics of your 4 surfcasters - you're a lucky man. Do you have a preference of all basswood vs. mahogany/maple top? Hardtail or trem? I wish they would have made a hum/single version with the mahogany/maple combo and the trem, but I am totally digging my sea green surfcaster as it is. How do you post a pic on this board?

Comment

Put them in Photo Bucket. Then paste the "IMG" in the area where you would type here.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/dilver155/Surfcaster/DSC_1260.jpg[/IMG]
            IMG]http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/dilver155/Surfcaster/DSC_1263.jpg[/IMG]

Did this work?

Comment

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/DSC_1260.jpg

Or this?

Comment

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thx Hellbat! Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

If you click on the little picture of the tree with photo holders image...

You can just paste the picture into the pop-up box and the web site will handle the tags for you.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Charvel Surfcaster

To All,

I have a brand new Charvel Custom Shop Surfcaster for sale. It is the NAMM 2010 one. Check out the link.

http://www.cmcguitars.com/Charvel-US...7-5218-000.htm

Steve
                      "I may be drunk, but in the morning I'll be sober but you will still be ugly." Winston Churchill[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]

Comment

Originally posted by steev11 View Post
                        To All,

I have a brand new Charvel Custom Shop Surfcaster for sale. It is the NAMM 2010 one. Check out the link.

http://www.cmcguitars.com/Charvel-US...7-5218-000.htm

Steve
                        What a dope.

Comment

Check this thread where I posted my Surfcasters.
                          http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/742...ew-Surfcasters
                          RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                          CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                          Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Wow, you have 2 - Nice!!! You can't even get those Jackson Stars-made versions anymore; their site says "discontinued". BTW: I noticed how much lighter that Surf Green one you sold was in comparison to mine - could be the effect of the finish on mine yellowing over time, but wow, what a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                              What a dope.
                              +1. That thing is HIDEOUS. They got everything wrong on that axe. Esp. for the price. :k
                              I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

Working...
                              X