Model 88, well, sort of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 88, well, sort of.

I've had this Model 88 neck for a couple of years and could never make up my mind what to do with it. I really like the look of the clear natural finish of the 88 but I'm just not into the sound of mahogany or the look of the slanted pickup. My solution was to have a 2 piece walnut Charvel dinky style body made by Musikraft.

Then, after some pure tung oil, thinned with citrus solvent.

Seriously, if you're oiling a body, this is the only way to go. It takes about 30 days to cure enough to steel wool, buff and wax but it is so worth it.

Then it was time to assemble. Pickup ring, truss rod cover and brass grounding plate are from Frets on the Net (I won't buy my parts anywhere else, Dave is a true craftsman). Pickup is TB-4, original Floyd Rose trem and R-3 nut conversion and brushed aluminum control cover.

The necks screw holes were drilled out to fit threaded brass inserts (sorry, forgot to take pics of that before I put it together) and fastened to the body with stainless steel machine screws. This allows for some serious torque without the worry of stripping.

Here is the finished product.

Oh now that's just sexy!
    -Rick

Comment

The guitar looks great. I've read about neck inserts. Are there any advantages to having added torque other than the guitar neck not coming loose?

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
        The guitar looks great. I've read about neck inserts. Are there any advantages to having added torque other than the guitar neck not coming loose?
        One advantage is if you have a neck that requires that it be removed for truss rod adjustment, it lessens the chance of the holes wearing out. To me, It feels so much more solid, almost like a set or through neck.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
          One advantage is if you have a neck that requires that it be removed for truss rod adjustment, it lessens the chance of the holes wearing out. To me, It feels so much more solid, almost like a set or through neck.
          Where did you buy them? The internal threads are #8-32, but what are outer dimensions of the ferrule? Looks like a good mod to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
            Where did you buy them? The internal threads are #8-32, but what are outer dimensions of the ferrule? Looks like a good mod to me.
            I got the inserts from McFeely's, specs are here on their site. http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/3603...readed-Inserts and the screws from Bolt Depot.

Comment

That came out awesome!

Comment

Nice job, Anthony! That's gorgeous.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great Job!!! I think I'm gonna need your shipping address soon...
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

i saved these pics to my pron folder. not guitar pron btw...
                    The devil takes my mind but I don't care. He let me breathe. He gives me air

Comment

Good God is that just simply stunning!

Love the stripped down single hum look with the Floyd. Also love the fact that there is no holes for the backplate either.

Really something else there!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

WOW, looks killer! I have had two 88s the pickup slant was not for me, but that would be : ) great job as always \m/
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

That is just awe inspiring.
                          "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Looks great well done.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+1000

You did an awesome job.

How does the weight compare to old 88?

I have no problem with the slanted HB...thickens it up just a hair.
                              If you don't like it just drop the bass side screws a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X