Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Question: Pickup springs necessary on Model 4 for Singles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Question: Pickup springs necessary on Model 4 for Singles?

I was going over my guitar tonight and installing my new EMG SAX's, and I noticed the stock stacked humbuckers don't have pickup springs. My new pickups, of course, come with conical-style springs. I'm using them currently with the wider end facing the pickup and the thinner end facing the body of the guitar (since that's what I was told to do). Is this correct?

Just making sure I'm setting everything up right. Thanks guys.

IIRC, the stock singles have a single piece of highly unadjustable black foam underneath it. I have used a razor in the past to slice half of the foam off to lower the middle pickup so my pick would not hit it.

I think the conical springs are more designed for pickguard mounting, where the wider side is against the guard, distributing the force, and the thinner side is against the pickup. They should work for regular body mounting too, but some of the conical springs are really short and they might not be tall enough to reach the strings. In this case, I'll use regular longer screws, or cut them to length with wirecutters. I have also used rubber tubing to mount single coils. They compress rather well and are pretty height adjustable.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
    X