550xl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 550xl question

I have an awesome 550xl that i raped off some idiot in a pawn shop for $150 bucks about 7 years ago. Chainsaw case and all. It's all stock to the best of my knowledge. I wasn't happy with the output so i ripped the cover off the bridge pickup a long time ago and this is now the angriest sounding guitar i own, and i have a few good ones. What the hell are those pickups? I think it's like a J50 or a J90 or something, but i'm not sure.

It should have a J90C ("c" for ceramic magnet) in the bridge position.

Comment

Cool, thanks. Had no idea they were ceramic. Interesting. And all this time i thought i didn't like ceramic pickups. Stupid Dimebucker!!!

Comment

There should be a sticker on the bottom. a J50 would be PAF like, a J90 would be high output.

Originally posted by Jaxcharvel View Post
        I wasn't happy with the output so i ripped the cover off the bridge pickup a long time ago and this is now the angriest sounding guitar i own
        I don't see how taking the cover off of the pickup would change the tone. The cover is plastic - plastic doesn't shield electricity.

If anything, after you took the cover off, you probably re-installed the pickup closer to the strings.

Comment

Well, i was about 20 years old when i did it, but it seemed like it helped to me. Plus i'm not a fan of covered pickups.

Comment

Ripping the covers off makes it sound different because the pickups are getting closer to the strings. But yeah I have a few j90c and they rock.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
              Ripping the covers off makes it sound different because the pickups are getting closer to the strings. But yeah I have a few j90c and they rock.
              So in other words, ripping off the cover doesn't do jack shit unless you move the pickup closer to the strings, which you could have done with the cover on in the first place

Comment

Working...
              X