Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 4 owners: couple of PU questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 4 owners: couple of PU questions...

I have a love/hate relationship with my model 4. After all those years, I'm keeping it for more for "emotional" reasons than for the way it sounds! :ROTF:

I'm curious to know what bridge PU you have in yours. A few years ago, after having issues with the preamp, I installed a Dimarzio ToneZone, then later I replaced it by Duncan JB. But I still don't like the way it sounds.

So what PU are you using in the bridge?

And to those who replaced the singles ones, what did you put and why?

Hope to hear from some of you.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

I have a Model 4 I bought with a single full shred in it. I want to restore it to the original wiring. Hopefully I'll find a full harness somewhere.

Comment

What specifically didn't you like about the ToneZone and the JB? Pickups are a very subjective thing, but knowing what you felt about those other ones may help us recommend something for you.

I'm not a big DiMarzio guy, but I think the ToneZone sounds pretty good in basswood. I'm not a fan of the JB in much of anything, and to me the the Custom crushes it in about 80% of situations, and the Distortion covers the other 20%.

As for the replacement singles, it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a true single, or another humbucker for soloing from the neck position? I love the Hot Rails for that.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        What specifically didn't you like about the ToneZone and the JB? Pickups are a very subjective thing, but knowing what you felt about those other ones may help us recommend something for you.
        Very good question DG!

ToneZone, I can not comment as it's been too long and funny thing, it's now in my cheapo JS30 Kelly and it sounds so good in it!!! Go figure.

JB, it's like the guitar is "dull/flat" sounding not warm enough. It's hard to describe. May be it's the fact that I have two Godin guitars (all mahogany body/neck) that sounds so warm compared to my Model 4. One of these Godin got a '59 in the bridge and it spoiled me.

I've been thinking putting back the ToneZone in my Model 4!

Originally posted by dg View Post
        As for the replacement singles, it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a true single, or another humbucker for soloing from the neck position? I love the Hot Rails for that.
        Not looking for humbucker sound in the neck, I have other guitars for that, but would like that strat sound, real single tone.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I EMG'd my Model 4 when I had it. Sounded great - well, the 81 in the bridge sounded great. EMG single coils sound like nice vintage single coils. I really would have liked a single coil sized hum for the neck of my M4.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            I EMG'd my Model 4 when I had it. Sounded great - well, the 81 in the bridge sounded great. EMG single coils sound like nice vintage single coils. I really would have liked a single coil sized hum for the neck of my M4.
            I don't follow. "You would have liked..." I don't get what stopped you?

I have an 81 and an S (in a Fusion Deluxe body with a Fusion Pro neck) wired for 18 volts. I didn't like it for the longest time, but I've found it does a great Angus Young into my Laney AOR 50.

And yes, the EMG S or SA are great singles. I think an EMG60 is an S in a humbucking body, and the same with a 60a being an SA.
            Last edited by DonP; 04-10-2010, 09:27 AM. Reason: Punctuation added for VitaminG

Comment

I still have the stock set up. Sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I don't follow. "You would have liked..." I don't get what stopped you?

I have an 81 and an S in a Fusion Deluxe body with a Fusion Pro neck wired for 18 volts. I didn't like it for the longest time, but I've found it does a great Angus Young into my Laney AOR 50.
                Don, I'm intrigued by how you wired that Fusion Pro neck for 18 volts. Can you provide instructions? Will it work with a Fusion Plus or Fusion SS neck? What about a 25 1/2" neck?
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  Don, I'm intrigued by how you wired that Fusion Pro neck for 18 volts. Can you provide instructions? Will it work with a Fusion Plus or Fusion SS neck? What about a 25 1/2" neck?
                  Har dee har har

Comment

Working...
                  X