650XL Neck Heel Rework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 650XL Neck Heel Rework

Anyone here ever try to modify their old 650, 550, or Soloist heel to the modern day, non-bump/hump style? For example, here's the old heel and the new heel.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2305/dscn0302n.jpg

http://thunderboltamps.com/cgw/gear/j2%20S2010013.JPG

My 650 is in need of a major overhaul (refinish, neck oiling, fret level and re crown), and this one of the things I was thinking of doing to it. I can really see how can it can improve the feel of the upper fret playing, but I am somewhat concerned about stability.

You could do it without affecting stability... theyre neck through, not set neck... if it was set neck, then hell no you couldnt do it. As far as high fret access, its really not that much different... I own man of both old and new styles and to be honest it doesent really make much of a difference.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Don't do it man. It may improve the guitar in your mind, but seriously; how often do you play at the very heel of the neck, and for how long?

Secondly; first ask yourself if you'd be able to do nice looking work on it. Getting good results sculpting wood requires good tools, a good eye for design, experience and patience. How much would you enjoy the guitar if it came out looking weird?

Thirdly; Like Rob stated, I'm not convinced it would make enough difference to warrant the work. But yeah, you could probably do it without jeopardizing its stability.

Comment

I have an array of tools at my disposal, and I am no stranger to wood working and guitar work. I feel comfortable performing this mod. Perhaps I will just smooth the heel a bit. It's just too chunky for me as it is.

Comment

If you're going to commit to this project I'd suggest patience. Also, you should keep the guitar assembled, so that you can play the guitar to see how it feels as you sand the heel down. Then when you find a heel level and shape you like, disassemble the guitar and refin it.

Good luck with the project man.

Comment

Go play a bolt-on and they go play your 650 and you will see that it's great the way it is.

Comment

Don't do it. That '80s style neck heel is fantastic. The fret access is still great, but you also get better sustain and "punch" on the highest frets by having more mass behind them. I say this having owned seemingly a zillion Soloists from all different eras. I prefer the '80s neck heel. And it just looks cool, too--sort of Ferrari-like, IMHO.

Comment

Alright, alright, sheesh. Ya'll talked me out of it. I will, however, be re finishing it. The charcoal grey is so beat up. I'll probably do a crackle of some sort. How 'bout a violet to blue fade across the body, with the black crackle over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doink View Post
                  Alright, alright, sheesh. Ya'll talked me out of it. I will, however, be re finishing it. The charcoal grey is so beat up. I'll probably do a crackle of some sort. How 'bout a violet to blue fade across the body, with the black crackle over it.
                  Now THAT is something I can endorse wholeheartedly.

Comment

Working...
                  X