WHew! First Charvel Incoming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHew! First Charvel Incoming!

Whew!! After many days of indecision I have just bought my first Charvel!

550 xl in blue with original hsc, trem arm, and wrenches.

images: the first for photos here: http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo296/csacwp/

Thanks for everybody's help! This guitar screams savatage in that it's a charvel, it has 2 pickups, and it has a colored toothpaste headstock. Just what I was looking for (give or take the reverse headstock).

damn she's fine looking
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Too bad it's a fake. Just kidding . For a first Charvel, you picked a nice one. Made in 1989 I think based on the serial. Others will chime in if I'm mistaken. How's it play?

Comment

WOw my heart just skipped a beat when I read that it's a fake

It's a fleabay purchase so I haven't played it yet. The only thing I'm concerned about is how grainy the fretboard is. I hope that's just the wood..

I got it (with original trem arm and allen wrenches) and it's original "chainsaw" hard-shell case for $500. The seller wanted $550 but accepted my offer.

Any info that anybody has on the 550xl would be greatly appreciated. I've searched all over the web for info on this model and haven't found anything.
      Last edited by savatage; 01-13-2010, 09:53 PM.
      My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

The 550's are great guitars good choice.
        All the model series and later 80's thru 90's that have rosewood boards look just like that so don't worry its normal.
        What you see on those is white residue from when they did buffing you can get it out with OOOO steel wool but it takes forever and not really worth the bother.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

oh, look at that woodgrain. Sure sign it's a fake.....

Here's some more info:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=29&pos=7
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Are the pickups active?

Comment

What makes you think they are active?
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

no. Jackson never made active pickups
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  What makes you think they are active?
                  I've read that they are in the past. THe internet is usually wrong though.

Comment

Jackson made some active preamp systems that work with passive pickups. Some of the Charvel imports had the the JE-1200 midboost (Model 4,5,6, 475 and 650XL) but the 550XL didn't. Lots of people (especially eBay sellers) think Jackson made active pickups because of the preamps and because they made covered pickups that looked a lot like EMGs.
                    Last edited by dg; 01-14-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
                      Too bad it's a fake. Just kidding . For a first Charvel, you picked a nice one. Made in 1989 I think based on the serial. Others will chime in if I'm mistaken. How's it play?
                      Yep, 89 model.
                      Serial #s on the fretboard will start with; C for Charvel, or J for Jackson. The first number will be the year. 8 for 88, 9 for 89 & so on.

Here is another pretty good site: http://www.charvel-jackson.info/

That is a real nice Axe for your 1st Charvel. Mine was a Model 2.
                      Models
                      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                      I dont need furniture.
                      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
                      X